1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speed!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by IAmTheDood, Jun 11, 2007.

1. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    OK,

I've been playing for about 6 months now .. my speed is pretty good ..

I'm trying to learn Rush YYZ .. and the speed is just killing me. I know the notes, but I am off just a little bit on the speed and can't get it back.

Any tips you guys have? I do about an hour of practicing a day .. at least .. actual practicing .. scale runs, 3 fret runs of positions 3 - 4 - 5 and 6 - 7 - 8, double octave runs .. arpeggios .. minor blues, minor scales, all of that .. just to pick up my speed.

I am now a 2 finger fingerstyle player .. I'm good with the pinky (use all 4 fingers across 4 frets in a position) .. I use a floating thumb technique .. always have .. find it better than anchor and I don't loose speed off of it.

All I can think of is just keep practicing .. as I do I get faster .. each day I feel I am just a little bit faster on these runs ..

just wondering if there are any tips you guys can through my way .. I can probably put up a video tonight of the fastest scale I can play if you guys want to see it just for demo purpuses.

2. richardjones89

richardjones89

Jun 6, 2007
    i would like to see a video of you play. mainly to see how much of a difference 6 months of practicing can do to speed :)

as long as you can play it slow you can gradually build up the tempo to the real speed, and then you can work on playing it to perfection every time. ;)

3. Oratorio

Oratorio

May 9, 2007
    Norway
    This is a song that, if you play it slowly and build up speed with a metronome, will really really pay off in the end. Local bassists play it here alot, and you can really hear that they haven't really got the precision needed, which you can get from gradually building up the tempo when practicing it. :) Keep at it, it's a fun tune which I should learn too someday!

Also, some technical tips, the sound is best (atleast in my opinion) when played in open position. On your left hand, try to use only your first, second and fourth finger, ala. double bass left-hand method. Works best in my opinion, since atleast my third finger is slightly weaker than my fourth. If you know all the notes, you know what to do. Good luck man, post a clip of you playing it after you bust it!

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Make an MP3 of it and play it back through Winamp with one of its slowdown plug-ins.

5. iceshaft07

iceshaft07

Mar 4, 2007
    I like that idea! I'll try it too.

I've been trying to learn this song too, that sounds like a great idea!

The only thing I can recommend is using hammer-on and pull-offs to your advantage. I have been playing for about a year and 5 months now, so I know what boat you're in!

Also, I started off playing with a pick. When I started using my fingers, I skipped using 2 fingers and went straight for 4 fingers. I think I am glad I did, as it makes playing really fast passages easy (and keeping time easier too). Playing sixteenth notes is a sinch.

Anyhow, I would recommend learning to play with all 4 fingers. And see if you can throw your thumb in occasionally too-- anything to make playing faster :).

But remember, note sound is more important than note speed-- that means NO fret buzz (you'll understand when you try to record a song with some abnd mates-- I learned this the hard way)!

6. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    PaceMaker is the name of the plug-in, btw. It can slow stuff down up to 50%. It can also change the pitch if you want it to. That's nice if you're trying to play along with something that's just slightly out of tune with your bass. Don't retune yourself - make them do it.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Patience and a metronome will build speed. I've had to learn some things that were completely out of my league speedwise, and I did it successfully like this:

Take the lines you're looking to play and set a metronome so that you can play it comfortably without any notes feeling like a struggle. Play it for 10 -15 minutes straight. Raise the metronome 1bpm. Do it again for around 10 more minutes until you can play it at that speed with no problems whatsoever. Keep raising the BPM until you can't go any faster, then rest, back off a few BPMs and start it all over again.

I found that speed for me comes from playing things at a comfortable pace and having my body (fingers) memorize what they're doing. Forcing them to go faster than they can does nothing but frustrate and make for sloppy playing. Going at a speed that's comfortable works the muscles and its like ya all of sudden wake up one day and say, "DAMN! I CAN DO THIS NOW WITH EASE!"

It's what works for me anyhow.

8. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    Also remember that your fingers have to learn to play the notes. I bet you could play scales at twice the speed of YYZ (exageration) but YYZ does play like a scale its got different note lenghs and finger positioning. Your brain has to process this stuff, Also I bet most of the problems are coming form you right hand. In this case watch watch it. Your brain will process the information better

9. iceshaft07

iceshaft07

Mar 4, 2007
    Just an update, they have a really nice Guitar Pro at ultimate guitar. If you get that, you can delete everything except the bass so you can clearly hear it, and you can also slow it down to 25% its regular speed.

Let me know how you do! I can make it through maybe the first couple of verses!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021