Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speeding ticket (again?!?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iplaybass, Jun 22, 2003.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Ok, I just got a ticket for 43 in a 30. The ticket is only $58, but my insurance is going to go through the roof. Any way I can prevent my insurance company from finding out? Also, if Jason is around, I've been looking for that article from vwvortex.com about getting out of tickets and I can't find it. Can you post it again? Thanks.

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    43 in a 30? Ahh, you deserve that ticket. Learn your lesson, take your lumps, SLOW DOWN, and move on.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I heard of a good one for getting out of tickets...its called not speeding.....

...honestly, You should have seen that coming.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you wanna aviod a speeding ticket,

<marquee>DON'T SPEED!!! </marquee>

Think McFly, think!

If you're gonna be smart ( :rolleyes: ) enough to speed, then u know the risk. Pay the fine, pay the insurance increase, and grow up.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Well, since everyone has helped SO MUCH so far :rolleyes: , I'll throw in my $.02.

Here is a speeding ticket article that was posted not too long ago. Click here.

Here is the article from vwvortex that JB posted awhile back. Click here.

One other thing...Is this your first ticket that was more than 10 mph over, or was the other one (the one referred to in the title) for 10 mph over or less? If it's your first one over 10 mph, you can usually take it to the local judge and get it reduced. Either way, go to court with it. Your only goal is to try and keep the ticket off of your record, which in this case can only be accomplished by going to court (the vwvortex article tells all about that). Good luck!

P.S. To everyone ELSE who was going to tell him the obvious "Slow down", just save your breath. If he's like me, he won't listen anyways!! :D I really like what the vwvortex article says: A speeding fine is your fee for driving fast.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sorry, hunter beat me to it.

i do 43 in a 30 all the time. sometimes more, sometimes much less. i drive quick but can still blend in with other cars, and always really pay attention to the cars around me and conditions. haven't ever hit anything, haven't gotten a ticket in a LONG time.

go to court and get the points reduced. i think that the ins company doesn't base entirely on points but that has something to do with it.

when i got my two 4pt tickets within 6 months my insurance didn't go up at all.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It's just a shame that selfish drivers "fees" include children, and other innocent victims on a daily basis. Disregard for others safety is no better than driving drunk IMO.

That's a pretty ****ty attitude I think. If you want to drive fast, go buy a race car, and take it to a race TRACK.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Fact of the matter is, the laws are in place for a reason, and like I said....if you need a testosterone rush, but an equipped machine, and head to the race track.

Before anyone goes poking at me, I too have had a few tickets, it happenes...to everyone. Although, I did NOT go on a message board and whine about it, nor did I try to find a way go get out of a law I clearly broke. If you were in fact speeding, pay your fine, take the insurance hike, and move on....remember it next time you decide you are immune to the rules.

PS, I am a 3+ year veteran driver, in semi pro auto racing, so I am hardly a grandpa driver. I just have enough sense, and respect for the others on the road to follow the rules. I hope you all lose your licenses.

9. I agree with ANBassist, locally here in Aus there has been much talk lately about speed and revenue raising. People write into the papers crying out that it's unfair and that speeding fines are only there to make money. The simple solution is not to speed. Ok, there is an argument sometimes over whether some speed limits are right for a particular road but that doesn't mean people are allowed to speed.

Speed isn't the only factor of crashes, I think more people have the problem of simply not concentrating, incompetent skills or attitudes and stupidity, but is a contributor and if we can reduce injuries and deaths by sticking to the limit and concentrating then it's worth it isn't it?

10. Hmmm...

While put in much harsher words than I would have chosen, I agree whole heartedly with ANB.
    Fortunately for me, the cop who gave me a ticket at my accident didn't give me an amount to pay, and when I called the police to ask about it, they said that if the officer failed to write down the amount then I don't have to pay for it.

If there's a way to get around these things, then I don't know it. If I knew people who did, I would ask them directly. If I didn't, then I would just suck it up and pay the damned thing. It's part of what comes with driving.

Sure, I'm convinced that the lady who hit my car in Vancouver ran a red light, and that she wasn't paying too much attention to the road, but the insurance company says it's my fault, so it's my fault. I won't drive so fast next time, I'll look around more carfully, and I'll suck up the punk(ette) behind me who's honking because I'm going "too slow" or being "too careful" because I like my life.

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Speeding isn't the only way to get hurt driving. Come guys you never do 56 in a 55? Pulease. I've seen people get seriously hurt by not paying attention while doing the speed limit. Speeding in and of itself doesn't kill. Running into stuff kills

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i do take it to the track, and it's slowed me down a LOT on the street. butthere's a big difference between racing and driving fast on the streets to get a rush vs. being 5mph over the general flow of traffic. if the speed limit is 30, everyone is going 40~ and i'm going 45 - even though you're doing 15 over IMO you're really only doing 5 over. if there's other traffic around i base how fast i go on how fast everyone else is going. i NEVER EVER street race either. that's something that i feel very strongly against.

i know plenty of really bad drivers that have gotten into tons of accidents and never speed. i also know plenty of drivers that normally drive a little quicker than everyone else and have never gotten into an accident or any other violation besides a speeding ticket here or there.

it's all about paying attention. if you're doing 20mph over what everyone else is 'In the Ferrari or jaguar, switchin' four lanes Wit' the top down screaming out Money ain't a thang' then yeah, you shouldn't be driving.

13. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well, I didn't mean to start a controversy, I just wanted the article and similar experiences. I don't drive in an unsafe manner. I really did think the speed limit was 35, I was in a section of road that was a block before it changed from 30 to 35. The cop was parked within the section that was 30.

PS: This is my first ticket. Calm down. If you aren't going to help me, please just leave me alone. I've already gotten the "don't speed" speech from both my parents, people I respect a lot more than people on internet forums. I just wanted help on maybe reducing the points or the fine, per their request. I've never killed anybody. I rear-ended some guy doing 5mph once, that's the worst thing I've ever done.

Does anybody know any more information about how the insurance companies compute their rate increases or how they find out about tickets?

14. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I am NOT whining. I want help on reducing my points. I don't think it was unfair, I don't think I'm right. I WAS speeding. I WAS breaking the law. I don't think it was the man's fault, it was mine. Please don't just write me off as some punk kid who won't accept responsibility for what he has done. There isn't a rule book with all criminal offenses and all punishments listed; there is leeway in these things. I just want to reduce my points and hopefully get it stricken from my record if I stay clear of all further traffic infractions for a year. I respect your viewpoint, I just don't agree with it. :)

15. Simple rule in RI, go 10 miles above the speed limit, and always go as fast, never faster than the other cars, then you'll be set. Oh, and one last thing GET OFF THE F***ING PHONE, AND PAY ATTENTION!!!!!

16. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

Andy.......your not a punk kid who wont accepted responsiblity for what he has done. ;) your a ...funky cat with a couple nice basses and nice taste for rice burning vehicular transpartation ;)
    Um.. just really read up about it, if you can get it reduced and taken off, then do it. Since its your first offense, they might take it easy on your this time. Explain to the judge that you thought it was a 35 zone.

Thats my 50 cents..

w3rd

17. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well, that's not how I'd put it, but...

Word.

18. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Thanks buddy... 50 cents? Isn't that a rapper? ;)

19. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    no.......but can I have your warwick!?!! :D

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's because the Govt IS using traffic fines to raise revenue. Did you know that highway patrol officers in Australia have quotas and targets that have to meet. If they're not issuing enough infringements, they get demoted. This is of course denied by the powers that be, but it's true.

Just out of curiosity, do any other countries besides Australia have permanent speed cameras?