Speeding tickets and points (New York)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 15, 2002.

1. I got a ticket for doing 84 in a 65 zone today on I-88 about 50 miles outside of Albany. There's no way I can contest this in good faith, and with my luck the court date will be during a midterm exam or something wonderful like that, so I will probably plead guilty and accept the fine.

The problem is, I pled guilty to doing 80 in a 65 two months ago, also in New York state. This was my very first traffic offense.

I have a couple of questions for NY residents:

-How many points are on my license now?
    -How big of a fine will I pay, since I was 19 over and this was my second offense?
    -Do any of the actuarially-minded here know the percentage at which my insurance premiums (updated quarterly) will increase?
    -How long will these points stay on my license? I will probably be out of the country 09/2003-~08/2005, and I'd like to have a clean slate when I return since I'm no longer going to be eligible to purchase insurance from USAA, as I will no longer be claimed as a dependent by my (ex-Army JAG) father.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    1. six

2. $824

3. You won't be able to get insurance except as an assigned risk.

4. three years

Why do you think god gave us rear-view mirrors?
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The last 2 speeding tickets I got were a few years ago. One was 75 in a 50 zone & the other was 75 in a 45 zone. :eek: They were both a month or 2 apart & the second ticket cost over $250. :(

My advise is set your cruise comtrol.
  4. :D

It was set for 77, I think. Traffic was moving really fast. It just so happened that I put my foot on the gas and wasn't really coherent enough to be thinking about that action. When I saw the cop in the rear-view, my reaction was sorta like, "Well, I'll be damned, my speedometer says 90."

Driving while sleepy is as bad as driving while drunk, I'd imagine.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Ugh, tickets.

Ok, you've got the smug mug thing down. :cool:

Time to work on the remorse laden puppy dog look. :(
  6. you should come and live in moscow! here you would pay between $5 and $20 (as a bribe, to avoid being ticketed altogether) if you committed that kind of offense.

(its a sliding scale, you just need to make a bigger bribe in a Mercedes than if you were driving a Lada)
  7. Oof. I just found out that, since Illinois counts out-of-state violations on one's record (NY does not), my license will probably be suspended if New York State reports the violations to IL.

I'm hoping that it will be minimal, 30-60 days.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Geez, guys, slow down! Limits are there for a reason. Speeding not only puts yourself at risk, but everybody else too. My cousin maintains a "15mph over the limit is fine" rule because he, as everyone else does, claims to be a good driver and can handle speeding. Remember that other drivers can get very nervous when people are speeding behind and around them, and you are making their driving more dangerous by adding to their nerves. Just a request from a guy with a little sister that he doesn't want killed in a car accident.
  9. Speed limits are set artifically low as a system of revenue generation. A few months ago I drove up the new Island Highway on Vancouver Island. A lot of the highway has British Columbia's highest speed limit - 110km/h (68.75mph). Myself and my passengers (my mother and sister!) felt perfectly comfortable while I was doing 150km/h (93.75mph) most of the way! The thing is bloody straight the whole way, and it's hardly congested - and that was a holiday weekend. I did a lot of passing, but most other drivers were very courteous and moved to the right lane before I approached, although why they were cruising in the left lane with nobody around in the first place is beyond me.

Anyway... it was a very German experience - almost euphoric :)

Look at Germany - they have it right - I belive it takes five years of schooling/practice until you get a full license. Here in North America they're giving them away... no wonder they can have higher speed limits, and fewer accidents. The autobahn is a prime example of elegant efficency in automotive transportation.

Why can it work there, but not here? Lack of driver training! It's very unfortunate...

Back on the mainland over here, the highway I regularly drive on has a speed limit of 90km/h (56.25mph), and I usually cruise at 110-120km/h (68.75-75mph) comfortably, radar detector warning me of the revenue generators.

Speeding is rampant on that highway, it's bloody amazing. Why? THE LIMIT IS TOO LOW! The cops sure make a lot of money though.

Anyway, I could make this into a even larger rant with little effort, but I'll stop myself and summarize that the driver training in North America is absoutely inadequate, and in consequence, those of us who do drive with due care and attention are limited to pathetic speeds.

10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    pete...READ THIS!!!!! (it's a .doc file that was renamed as a .gif - just save it and rename the extension)

your following of these instructions will determine whether you get to keep your license!

this is from a guy named Nokona on vwvortex.com

maybe you should quick apply for an NY license?

and for some reason, i am 4 pts away from losing my license (ironically, both were driving someone else's slow car/van, not one of my fast cars.), i am 20, and my insurance (full coverage) is still really really cheap. thank the lord.
  11. I'm claimed as a dependent by an Illinois resident, and would be unable to claim NY residency, so I would not be able to get a NY license.

EDIT: Jason, that's a very helpful article, but I might not even need it right now. I talked to the Illinois Secretary of State's office today, and evidently the ticket I got in August has not been reported to them. I'm beginning to think that the state of New York might not report tickets received there to other states, although Illinois counts violations from other states toward its points.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

you still need it, because you stand a chance of getting points for this offense, and that's something you don't want to.

you don't want to have to really worry if you get another ticket and will be over for sure...
  13. Jason, I don't think you're following: if New York doesn't report this violation to Illinois--and I have reason to believe that they won't if I pay the fine on time--then I'm in good shape.

Anyhow, I simply don't have the time to deal with a court date two hours away. I was considering going to court and asking for a guilty plea for a non-points offense, but given that I was caught going 19 over on a holiday and am under 21, the likelihood of that occurring is minimal.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

I understand the sentiment but IRL it's not always the best thing to do.

I decided to get away from driving sports cars and bought a big luxury vehicle, with the intention of slowing down and smelling the roses. I got more tickets during the relatively short time I drove that car than with any other car I've owned. I found that when driving around the Washington, DC area, driving less than 65 mph was considered suspicious.

I do not speed in residential areas for obvious reasons. OTOH on the Beltway, driving 55 mph causes more problems than it solves.
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    still man...points are points....

i really wish i had that document earlier, i wouldn't be 4 pts/one ticket away from losing my license.

it does make you slow down though!
  16. Jason, are you following me? I have an Illinois license but was pulled over in New York. If New York does not report the violations to the Illinois Secretary of State's office, there are no points on my ILLINOIS driver's license.
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Give it some time. I regularly see out-of-state stuff pop up on IL MVRs up to a year after the conviction. (I see dozens of MVRs each day.)
  18. Do you see NY stuff on them particularly often? I know that New York tells New Jersey and Connecticut about convictions from NY, but anywhere in "flyover country?"
  19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I do see violations from around the country reported on IL DLNs. However, on reflection, I *think* most are for CDLs (commercial licenses) and/or major violations, such as DUI. I do know I have seen simple speeders show up on occasion. If you're lucky, you'll be out of the country (and off your parent's policy) before they pop.

I do suggest you arrange to stay on your parent's policy as a student away at school while you're out of the country, otherwise you'll have to start your insurance history from scratch when you return.

PM me if you'd like direct phone numbers to the IL SOS DLN record unit - they're the ones that can answer questions on the phone. (I think you may already have this.)

At the carrier I represent, having two speeders in one year would force you into our non-preferred company. Two tickies shouldn't put you into the pool (assigned risk) unless you also have other convictions, claims or accidents in the last three. PM me, and I can work up examples for you for illustration.

If they get reported quickly, you may have just jeopardized your parent's rates. They could be looking at a major increase for all their vehicles because of this. I HIGHLY recommend you attend the court date and try to get supervision instead of a conviction, if that's an option in NY!

(I hope this all came out right - I'm not caffeinated yet!)
  20. It can't work here because they refuse to enforce a slow vehichle stay to the right law. In Germany you would get pulled over in a heartbeat for driving in the left lane if not passing someone. Here everyone insists on driving in the left lane. I feel most accidents happen because of people having to weave through these idiots driving slowly in all lanes of traffic, instead of the right lane, where they belong. If everyone stayed to the right, except to pass, it would reduce accidents considerably.