1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speeding up the ol' comp!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by charic, Oct 16, 2006.

1. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Ok ive been going through the processes today of speeding up my computer (laptop) and i suppose its a point to mention its now 4 years old!

Now i do all the usual stuff is there any free software youd recommend to help this process? E.g. registry cleaners etc.

Cheers,
    Rik

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    spybot, adaware, avg antivirus (free edition), ewido anti-spyware (also free)

3. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    the last ones the only one i dont use, also using free norton atm lol catching a lot that avg doesnt! Thanks :D does that last one do anything spybot doesnt?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just use as many as I can (within reason), and it seems to catch about anything.

5. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Bout the same as my method then :D

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    BTW, I have never had a virus problem since having AVG.

7. WinASO has a good registry cleaner.

8. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    I've found that "System Mechanic 6", and "Tune-Up Utilities 2006" are both pretty good ultilities for getting things ship shape again, for the free trial periods anyways....

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Nothing says "FAST" like a hard drive upgrade. IMO, it's the best hardware-based thing you could do for a dramatic speed improvement.

It's not like RAM and processor upgrades, which are pricey and more difficult to notice results.

For around $120 or less, you could install a 7200RPM hard drive. That's what I did with my laptop :D

For software-based solutions... +1 to System Mechanic, and +1 to anti-virus stuff. I've had good experiences with Norton antivirus software.

10. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    ...did you literally mean you were going through background processes? That's the best and fastest way to speed up your computer. Cheapest solution by a damn sight. I only run 26 background processes. That coupled with Ad-Aware, AVG and regular defragmenting, make for a fast computer. The only reason I say "regular" defragmenting is because I have a p2p program (Ares) and it tends to scatter things around after a while.

Doing a disk cleanup is helpful for creating space. I also raised my virtual memory to around 2GB. Good for if you are a gamer.

Here, I found you a good little processes guide:
    http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

11. I use System Mechanic, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Registry Mechanic, and Diskeeper religiously on my system, and I've never had an issue.

Good luck.

12. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I like ccleaner for cleaning up the registry and temp files. Also if the laptop is running XP I notice a nice speed improvement just by switching to the "Classic Windows" theme.
    Cutting out unused services as suggested by FireBug is also good. This is another decent guide for that.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    With regards to speeding it up, have you added more memory yet?

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Did you switch from Norton? McAffee? I have (and am content with) McAffee on my desktop, but thinking about switching over from Norton for the little lady's laptop. Between Norton and Zone Alarm, it bogs down a little. I'm thinking AVG might be the way to go...

15. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    I left AVG for norton, this is when the slowdown occured. However it found virus's that avg didnt... woth it? I think so. As for adding more memory its something for the future not the now... Expenses. Bass must come first ;)

will try the cleaner softwares too sound highly reccomended. I also use a program called free internet eraser which cleans a fair bit of rubbish dumped by the net. But you only run that program on demand :D

Defragging ATM ... taking ages :scowl:

Think the main problems are the fact that its a 4 year old comp. A few cleaner runs will hopefully do the trick

... Please oh PLEASE let it do the trick!!!

Rik

16. That most likely means that the HD was fragmented as all heck. :)

I'd run through the defrag several times. Also, after you are done running all the cleaners, etc., defrag yet again for a fresh start.

I'm personally not a fan of Windows built-in defragger. I like System Mechanic's defrag program, and I'm especially keen on Diskeeper. I have Diskeeper 10, and it's set to defrag all my drives automatically once a week in the wee hours of the night when the system is idle. The system never gets a chance to really frag up that way.

17. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Norton is the culprit IMHO. Yes, it's thorough, but dang, what a hog. I just went the other direction, Norton to AVG, because this PC is due for a wipe and rebuild in the next few months and I couldn't justify paying for a years subscription and only using a few months worth.

This PC is 7 years old, btw, and runs much faster with AVG than the current Norton.