1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speed's killing :(

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dereklol23, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dereklol23

dereklol23

Jul 28, 2008
    Hi, I've been playing for about 6 months now, dabbled in some easy stuff and am trying to progress to some harder material
    I set my eyes on Muse's Map of the Problematique ()

I nailed the intro pretty well down, now when I get to the verse, I get pretty frustrated. As you can probably hear, the bass is pretty damn fast, 16th notes I think. I can't play that fast :meh:
    My friend told me to try a pick, I'm trying to learn how to use it now but to be honest I'd rather use fingers
    Is there any way to get up to speed? I can play decently fast, but not near that speed

2. use 3 fingers. thats what I do. but after more experience, its not that hard

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

It might sound like a contradiction, but the best way to build up speed is to start slowly and g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y increase the speed.

Also, as you have only been playing six months be patient and give yourself a chance. :) The bassist you are trying to imitate has probably been playing for years.

4. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    If you have a metronome, use it. Otherwise use www.metronomeonline.com. Start off by practicing at slow tempos, and gradully increase the speed.

5. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    +1

My instructor always told me to turn down the metronome to a comfortable tempo. Play it until you can do it without problem, then slowly turn up the tempo. It won't come overnight BUT it will come.:bassist:

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    + 2

Find a tempo you can play to comfortably and just do it and do it an do it, like a meditation. Go up a notch in speed and do it again. Go backwards if you get tired, and take little breaks every now and then. Keep concentrating on playing the notes perfectly and musically, don't worry about the speed. What happens is when you're doing it slowly, your muscles are memorizing it and the speed eventually comes. I just had to get a few licks down for a band that were virtually impossible for me to play when I first listened to them. I sat with the metronome for a couple of hours like above, and they quickly became 2nd nature.

7. youtube is blocked here so i don't know what the clip sounds like but recently i have been listening and trying to play bands like megadeth, metallica and a couple of other thrash metal and heavy metal bands. so i decided on master of puppets, i have been working on that song for almost ten days now. this is my first attempt at a decent metal song. until last week i couldn't nail that song at even 190bpm but right now i can easily play nicely at 220 but i think the original record version is slightly faster.

i just started off at 180 where it was comfortable to me and kept jumping up 5 or 10bpm and kep practicing until i could really nail it at that tempo and then jump another 5 or 10. btw, does any one know what speed in bpm is master of puppets exactly at??

8. dereklol23

dereklol23

Jul 28, 2008
    thanks for the replies, guys
    I'll take your advice in mind

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I'm not a fan of the style and Muse always seems to come up so I give it a listen to humour myself and here's what I got...PRACTICE! There are no tricks, no helpful tips, and no shortcuts to playing faster. One day you'll wake up and go, "ohhh, that's how it's done!".

10. E2daGGurl

E2daGGurl

May 26, 2008
    SoCal
    I'm actually more interested in how to make one note last as long as possible. But the answers you've been given about speed all boil down to one thing:

practice/training.

Like the Olympics.

11. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. I didnt make that up, but I always liked the ring of it. I think its a Navy SEAL or DELTA thing. I htink I read it in Blackhawk Down or something else along that theme/time period.

Anyway, its poignant.

Dude, 6 months. good for you. When I had been playing 6 months I was stoked to do Crazy Train and Rio !! Then again, I'm still not all that good 22 years later.

12. dereklol23

dereklol23

Jul 28, 2008
    I started with Rage Against the Machine stuff, and while I like it, it's kind of boring, and Chris from Muse is one of the guys who got me into playing bass so I figured I'd try a little bit of a leap :p

13. I think it is at 220bpm from memory or very close...
    the fastest I can play is around 240-260,... and I actually ended up going faster than the recording,.... but it sounded horrible :) the main problem I have is playing fast whilst playing up and down the strings... pumping an open E isnt too hard after some practice, but the riff where they basically play a major scale near the end up and down the strings defeats me at that tempo!

14. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Pick or 3 finger technique is't the answer.
    Proper technique, and lots of practicing in slow tempos (and gradually faster ones) is.

15. yeah pumping on one single note or something similar is far far easier to play and one can go at much higher speeds that way. but playing those not so simple riffs is the hassle at 220bpm

16. yeah pumping on one single note or something similar is far far easier to play and one can go at much higher speeds that way. but playing those not so simple riffs is the hassle at 220+bpm

17. The problem is..by the time you get good, you start to develop arthritis! Damn the luck!

18. yeah im having trouble with metallica and master of puppets,... most the song I can play, the run up and down the E A and D strings near the end I just cannot pull off at that speed,...

im also having fun with anesthesia the cliff burton solo,... learning to do everything in that song VERY slowly,... doing tapping fast just isn't happening right now!!!

must go practice!

19. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    probably? certainly, muse have been around for years so we can say with some certainty that he has at least been playing all the time muse have been around

20. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    try thumb finger alternate picking techniques, i think they work well