Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speeds???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Newsted, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    i never see post something like this.
    so what is your speed with fingers
    if you tell me that speed depents on what you play i will say to you how fast you can go up and down e dmajor i can in the metronom at 120 with 32 u?

2. um, yeah, what he said....

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's because music is not a competitive sport! ;)

4. I can do 180 at 64ths.

jk

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I can go 130 miles an hour from low C to high C and 145 miles an hour from low A to high A cuz its in a more comfortable position for me on the neck. Beat that!

6. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    ---------------------------That's because music is not a competitive sport!
    -------------------------------------
    i dint put that for competition but just to see what speeds can a bassist play
    you are very supporting thanx

:mad:

7. Bruce Lindfield

That's OK I m glad to help - I thought you might not know why this sort of thing hasn't appeared before and now you know! Isn't TB wonderful! ;)

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Im so darned fast you need to use imaginery numbers to properly describe the speed I play at;)

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You most probably haven't because of a simple fact - practically no one cares.

Nothing wrong with speed when it's applied to something artistic or entertaining. But speed for it's own sake is a dead end. No one cares to buy a painting by "the world's fastest artist." One can become a millionaire playing football (soccer)/American football/et al, but there are no professional opportunities for track sprinters.

Ever hear of Adrian Davison??? He had the title of "World's Fastest Bassist", yet relatively few bassists have heard of him. Some people even thought he died several years ago. His speed didn't earn fame or fortune for him. Like Yngwie Malmsteen who was also trying to market his speed, he developed carpal tunnel.

I would wager if you asked speed demons like Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, Dave Holland, et al, what speeds they can clock on a metronome, they couldn't tell you.

10. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Let's see how fast you can play Donna Lee or Confirmation big boy! Here's an idea, just slow down and learn to groove, you will be much happier!:oops:

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Dear Nut Jobs,

The fastest person I have ever seen live is Matt Garrison, end of story...

SINcerely,
    Satan

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm so fast I got a speeding ticket at last weeks rehearsal... :D

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

JMX - I heard you were so fast that you have to play on the Autobahn.

14. i'm so fast that i can plug in, play the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme, and have my bass back in the gig bag before the sound even reaches your ears.

15. I'm faster then the rest of the band. I always finish the tunes way before them. The drummer sometimes catches up, but I can usually pass him at the bridge...;)

16. Bruce Lindfield

This reminded me of a Bass Player article where they were talking to session bass players and there was a quote from somebody who hired musicians in Nashville and he said something like :

"I don't hire bass players to play fast I pay them to read fast! "

17. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Its all Greek to me...but since you asked... I can hit the light switch...play "Flight of the Bumble Bee"...and end the song before the room gets dark! Two times!