1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spell check your Posts! With Firefox 2.0!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jkritchey, Oct 30, 2006.

1. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    The new version of Firefox has a built in spell check that you can use on your forum posts. It works like the MS Word spell checker: as you mis spell, it underlines the incorrect words. Right click on the underline, and it offers spelling suggestions.

I used it, like 5 times in this miserable little post.....:) It's great for people like me who don't use proper keyboarding technique.

Here's the US Link http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's actually helped me a lot. Since I type here tons, I don't properly spell check it like I do essays and stuff, so I've caught on to many things I've been spelling wrong for years!

-Mark

3. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm using it right now, actually. It's much sleeker looking than the older version.

4. I had 2.0 for a while, but I guess Im just used to the older version, I like 1.5 more. Having the "x" on each tab kinda bugged me. I like having one on the far right.

5. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm using it too. The spell check is a nice add-in. One thing bothers me. When I pick a web address from the drop down address bar, it doesn't actually go there until I hit "GO" or enter. I wonder why they changed that, and how I change it back to the way the old Firefox was? I looked in about:config but didn't see anything.

6. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    If it's not in the options, the tabbrowser preferences extension will let you turn those X's off. I can in mine, but I don't know if it is because of the extension for sure.

7. Ahh, very cool. I may have to try that, because other than that, I liked 2.0 better.

Thanks

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I usually use the Spell check on the Google Toolbar in FF1.5 but the Spell Check in FF2.0 is very cool.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It works fine for me w/out hitting Go. Try to reinstall it.

One thing I miss is SilverSkin. I LOVE that theme.

10. I'll be downloading this tonight, I'm currently on 1.5 and using the balck aqua theme.

Firefox 4or TeH WinZzorZs!11!!! etc...

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    As I was reading this thread, there was an ad for BBspell at the bottom.

It always bugged me that Thunderbird had spell checking but not Firefox. Well, they fixed that :D

12. I suppose it's kind of handy, but I spend more time telling the spell checker that words I type are really words than I do using it to correct my spelling. I suppose it will get "typed in" eventually.

My favorite FF 2.0 feature is its new responsiveness. I didn't much like the per-tab close buttons (since middle clicking closes them anyway), but I turned it off in about:config.

13. Ok, I have a question for you guys that may be a little more experienced with 2.0 than I am. How do I get my "alt + S" function back to submit new posts?

14. Oxblood

Oxblood Inactive

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hmmmm, I wasn't even aware that 2.0 was out, im defiently going to get that! I've been using Firefox for a few months now and I just love it. I highly recommend it.

Firefox > IE

15. It's in the extension:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/158/

One annoyance down. Now if I can just get tabs to shrink again, instead of staying wide, and scrolling.

So far I'm not impressed with 2.0. The spell check is nice, but I used to just compose in Eudora.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Oh man, I was also unaware of 2.0. What a n00b... I will download it tonight! This is exciting!

17. Get tabbrowser pref. That has an option to control how wide the tabs are. Not sure what you mean by scrolling.

18. Got it, I didn't work before, because I needed to restart Firefox.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Spell Check ............................. :bag:

20. +10000000000

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021