Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spend the day with the oldies

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Jan 13, 2001.

1. spent the day with my mom and "her radio station" V101 in Massachusetts. after the day i realized that i had forgotten about a lot of great bass lines from the 50's to mid 60's. so my suggestion is for all of us to spend one day a couple of times a year listening to this stuff.

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Totally agree with you gruffpuppy. As a kid, I grew up on oldies because that's all my dad ever listned to in the car and at home. The basslines are great in many oldies.

3. I was raised on the oldies too and constantly need to go back and remember what it means to groove.Give me motown or give me death.Funk you!!!

4. Hey Funk You too Willie:D

funny you mention motown because the first two songs that came on that day were Aquarius by The Fifth Dimension and Chain of Fools by Aretha.

great stuff.

5. Back at ya!!Sometimes I feel that my playing lacks groove,conviction and emotion.The best way for me to fix that is to crank some P-Funk,some Marvin Gaye,and Stevie Wonder. I try to tell the younger players about the "old school" bassists.I have nothing against Fieldy,Sam Rivers,and other similar bass players;but...even they know the importance of past influences.If you don't tap into the
    roots of groove,you will miss out on very important fundamentals, and I know this can't be stressed enough these days no matter how many posts and threads are written.

" A woman without jewelry is like a night without stars."
    old Arab proverb

A bassist who doesn't groove,well,you get the picture....

6. hey willie not to turn this into a low speed chat room but i hear you, i was listening to how these players were playing these slow, groovy 4 note bass lines and just letting the bass lines breath. killer, one more thing to practice.

7. Hey Gruff,What do you think about disco? Sometimes I hear some real simple but steady grooves.I imagine many of the TB members consider disco to be part of the groovical past.If I were to teach bass,I know I would highly suggest that era also.Where I live there's a station called Oldies 95.If I'm not mistaken,they play disco on certain nights;it's a trip to hear that stuff.

8. ok i hope none of my freinds see this but i know the bass lines to lady marmalade, play that funky music, car wash, boogie oogie oogie, tell me something good, disco inferno, and i am sure a bunch of others i can't remember, and i love to play them.

of course i will play children of the grave or godzilla to clean myself afterwards :D

9. If your friends have seen this site they'll see your list twice.No thanks to me.BTW,cool songs!!!

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    You can tell you're getting older when the songs you heard as a kid at the local ice rink's Disco Night start showing up on oldies stations! It's cool how the great songs of the past make their way into the ears of new generations...Right on, Willie-learning lines by the likes of James Jamerson, Stevie Wonder, Duck Dunn, and Wilton Felder has helped me become more solid and creative. My personal old-school favorite is "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5-that bass line makes the whole song!

11. To Winston:The Jackson Five!!! Yes, their old stuff rocked.The first single I ever owned was from a cereal box and it was the hit "ABC". I think that's what it was titled.There's so much to learn from the old school.I constantly have to go back and refresh my memory so I can keep my groove alive.Without groove,the people don't move.

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    My mum has recently discovered an "oldies" station, and I love it! There's a lot of classic stuff played on it, and a lot of very nostalgic songs from the late eighties and early nineties as well. Mostly though, it plays a lot of sixties and seventies funk and soul. Right, I think I'd better funk off now...

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As an old timer, I get a kick out of late eighties and early nineties music being called nostalgic. To me nostalgic music would be late forties and early fifties music. What a difference in perspective!!

Still, what we consider nostalgic shows the power of music. Even songs as relatively "old" as five years ago can evoke powerful memories, good or bad, depending on the circumstances in our lives when that particular music first made an impact on us.

Frankly, I'm glad there are radio stations that still play "golden oldies" even if such oldies are less than ten years old, because it shows that listeners don't want the great music to be forgotten. Another thing too, it shows the timelessness of great music. In fact, maybe it takes time to show what music does stand the test of time.

Thirty years from now, will "oldies" stations still be playing Korn or Backstreet Boys or Pearl Jam? One just has to wonder which of today's music will stand the test of time.

jason oldsted

14. To Yawnsie:Cool, leave it to mom.
    To Jason:I know what you're saying.I'm really curious as to what the future of music will be.Sheesh,I didn't think I'd be alive in the 21st century.Don't ask me why...

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To Mr. Dizon, it might be worth an entire thread here to ruminate over which music we listen to now will still be played thirty years from now. What will survive as "Golden Oldies" in 2030? Hey, I'm going to do it.

jason oldsted

16. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Whaddya' mean "oldies" G-man? Hell. That's all I listen to ;) .
    http://www.cartoonsounds.com/simpsons/rockperf.wav

I guess I'm lucky. There are some really good stations `round hyar.
    88.5 (KEOM), 88.9 (KETR), and 89.3 (KNON). That last one is just left of Mao,
    but they have these 2-4 hours blocks of a particular style: Jazz, Blues, Metal,
    Zydeco, Reggae, etc. http://www.knon.org

Holy Crap! :eek: Gotta' Go!

Everybody Polka! :D

17. To Jason: I'm definitely curious as to what songs will stand the test of time.It's going to be real interesting.

To notduane:Those sound like real cool radio stations.