Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spending money can be darn difficult!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Dang, dang and dang!

I'm torn between basses here. No, it's nothing as simple as having two fairly identical basses and picking one - you see, there's the 5-string of my dreams, Warwick Thumb BO, at my reach. I've played Thumbs, and I know it's one of the best basses for me around. Truly a sweet rock machine. In couple of weeks, I have enough funds to get me one of them new and even few bucks extra.

But then there are couple of issues - for example that darn John Paul Jones and his doubled five and six that sound soooo nice on his solo albums! :( I love that tone, but then again, it's HIS sound and getting me one of the Dean Rhapsody 8's, a guitar amp and a Tech21 BDDI would run close what Thumb would cost, and still would not guarantee me good double-string tone, or even that I would like playing the darn thing. An 8-string seems bit much for most of the typical bands, but then again it would probably suit my present 3-piece rock band. And if I were to start a nice punkish rock'n'roll band, I could make it with one good guitarist..

Then again, if I would get the Thumb now, I could get the Dean after three more months or so.. :meh:

I'm just trying to put my thoughts on paper a bit here. You are free to share your thoughts though.

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i would say go with the Thumb, i have one and i swear by it other then my Conklin 7, but yeah doubles are a something different to deal with, plus if your in a 3 piece rock band you dont need an 8 string double bass, plus you actually have more range with the 5 string (excluding the octave pairs)

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bah, get the Warwick and an Octave pedal! ;)

4. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Warwick ;)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had a Dean Rhapsody & it's a nice bass. I am in a badn that has one guitarist & I felt the need to try te 8 string as you did. IMO, it didn't do much. I went well with one of out songs & that is pretty much it, It was kinda overkill. It definitlywas worth a shot for me cause I bought it @ a stroe I used to work @ for cost & I sold it for a profit.

6. Get the Thumb!

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Go for the Thumb........ The Dean can´t wait!!!

8. Get the Thumb Neck Through. That'll help you spend even more money.:)

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Alright, I knew you guys could help me maximize my spending :D

Actually, I counted my pennies few times over, and it seems to me I have exactly enough cash for both the Thumb and a new Nokia 5100-phone :cool:

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    but...but...but...john entwistle only needed 4 strings!!! :confused:

:D

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yes, that is very true. I, personally, suck. :p

Take it as a sort of my personal tribute to JE. People are always saying how Jaco was the best player in the world and that "he only needed four strings" so.. :bassist:

12. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I say, go for the Thumb. The dean 8-strings are nice, but it's difficult to find an opportunity to use them, plus fretting is totally totally different. Not to mention you can find them used for real cheap, like I did. :D

13. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i would say get the Thumb... i'm not good enough to do them justice but i've messed around with some in the stores and they're sooo sweet... they even smell awesome... and their grain kinda makes them each unique... i would even say they look like a custom old-school type rifle with a hand made stock...
    just get it and then cross it off your list.
    then you can add another one to your list.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Tony Levin only needed 3!:p

15. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    If you're worried about buying the 8 string and not using it except for your current project just remember that you can always take off the 4 complimentary strings (is that what you call them?) and then have a regular 4 string. Just a thought.

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a Dean 8, they're great! I'm only selling mine because my FBB custom 8 should be ready soon. Otherwise, I'd hang on to it for sure. Such nice tones!

I also like my Warwick Infinity 5 and many of the Thumbs I played were pretty nice too. From what I hear lately you really have to shop around to find a great one. I think I'll regret letting my Warwick go, but I think I've hit critical mass...

Either way, hope you like what you get!

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think the word you want is "complementary".

The octave strings complement the regular strings to complete the 8 string bass.

No need to thank me for the explanation. It was complimentary.:D

18. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    wasn't Chris Ballew's (of the Presidents of the USA) bassitarist a 2 string bass? i think he's playing a regular 4 string bass now, though...

19. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea my friend made a bassitar. Anyway, I'd go with the Thumb. The Thumb bolton is probably my favorite bass looks wise.