Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spending Someone Else's Money!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Mar 15, 2004.

1. GAS is an awful thing, and the pains are even worse when you don't have the funds to get something new. My friend has just solved my problems -- He is letting me spend his money!!

My friend emailed me and said that he wants a good bass for his studio. He told me to find the best 5 string (new or used) he could get for $1200!!! He prefers a 35" scale, and wants to buy one outright, and not bid on it (thus, no eBay).

Give me your suggestions, or links to retailers that have some great deals. I check Bass Northwest, Bass Palace, Bass Emporium, Bass Central, Bass Alone, etc. all the time for deals, but some of you may have a local shop that has something.

Let me know what you can find -- and let's spend Sam's money!!!!

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    35 inch scale on a great high end bass for $1200? sounds like a used Elrick to me

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Lakland Skyline 55-02...

4. I was thinking Elrick, Lakland, Roscoe, Modulus (Genesis probably), Pedulla, MTD Saratoga, Yamaha Nathan East, etc. I would love to find an Elrick at that price. I just haven't been able to find one yet. I will keep looking -- this is fun!

5. Cirrus?

6. I have looked at Cirrus as well. Great bass for the money. If it had a different name on the headstock, I am convinced it would cost twice as much.

7. Absolutely right.

8. Modulus Genesis 5...

i really dig em!!!

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Used Roscoe
    Used Pedulla (34", but too killer to pass up)

10. I have a Pedulla Buzz that I love, and I have emailed a couple of guys about the Pedulla J2000. How are those on tone and playability?

11. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    +1 to that

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'll second that. I recently play a Cirrus for the first time and I thought it had a great sound and the neck was awesome.

13. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    id wait and find a used boutique bass (as others have said) even on here you can find some very nice deals.
    have fun!

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    ... erm ... actually, with the same name on, it costs almost 2,5* - 3* as much as it would over at you :eek: :mad: :spit:

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado

Good call. That would be my choice as well.

16. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Lakland Skyline 55-02 :bassist:

17. Personally i would go with what some1 else said....a Yam Nathan East...might not be the best bass that people have used..for for studio use its got one of the bass pre-amps in the bizz...endless tonal variaties...almost every studio i have been in (and thats a lot) have

Fender Jazz
    Fender P
    Warwick Thumb
    Yam N-E

Gotta think interms of studio useage rather than fancy tops and stuff...

There's a reason why all the top studio's have that collection...cause they work...and they work very well...

thats just my opinion tho..!!

18. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    sounds like your friend isn't really all that knowledgable about basses and he's trusting you. Which is smart. However, if thats the case chances are he's not all that knowledgable about mixing bass either.

He needs some thing that is bullet proof and goof proof as opposed to something that has the potential to sound like the voice of God when mixed right but crap when it isn't.

I'd advise that he wait and get a Sadowsky. You really have to put forth some serious effort to screw one of them up.

Other than that. Every Yamamha I ever encountered recorded really well and Lakland has the potential for the voice of God.

For what it's worth, I never met an engineer that didn't think he was "all that" when it came to mixing bass. The vast majority where however, in my opinoin, wrong. YMMV just my opinion. and I am frequently wrong. No offence intended.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland or Yamaha TRB.

20. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Spector Euro?