1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spending spree...help please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MNbassist, Jun 1, 2007.

1. I need a planer, this router planing jig isnt working as planned. Who has or knows of a good working, affordable planer?

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    If you're looking for a solid and reliable planer, these are really hard to beat - especially if you get a reconditioned one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-DW735-Tw...9QQihZ002QQcategoryZ42283QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[​IMG]

I purchased one of these reconditioned ones 1-1/2 years ago and it has been faithful to the T. I've done all of the standard body woods plus Oak without any hitches. I believe these also have the least amount of snipe of anything under $700 - if your knives are sharp and you're set-up correctly, there's almost no snipe at all.

I have no association or experience with this seller, so proceed at your own risk

all the best,

R

3. Hey Rod,
    I have been eyeing one of these for a bit of time now, but have been somewhat deterred by the comments about low knife life and high price. Have you experienced any problems regarding that?

I don't have dust collection, so the craftsman (similarly priced) with included dust collection is attractive.

4. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    For the knife life, I'm still on my original knives - and they're still working nicely. But then I've limited my usage to reasonable depth cuts (not too deep, not too shallow) on Alder, Ash, Poplar, Black Walnut, Maple (Eastern and Western), and one section of Oak. For all of the fine thickness detailing I utilize a thickness sander. Because of this approach, mine doesn't have even 90 minutes of run time on it.

I will say that the one I have will not be joining me on my relocation to Charlotte as I can easily replace it once I am there, so I will need to find a good home for it. It will come in the original box with all of the original packaging.

re dust collection - you need to get yourself a small portable unit like this Jet

[​IMG]

this is all I have in my shop. I use it with a 30Gal garbage can cyclone converter

[​IMG]

to remove the chips, and two 10' long sections of 4" flex tubing ... one between the can and the motor, and the other between the saw/sander/etc ... and the cyclone.

I did all this for well under $200, and would consider it a must for any small shop. This is another set-up that will not be heading east with me as I can easily replace it when I get there.

OK ... enough de-railing of this thread. I can start a new thread on this topic if you'd like

all the best,

R

5. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I had looked at and initially considered the DW734, but for the relatively small $$ in difference you get a significantly beefier machine with more usable features in the DW735. And that extra 1/2" in width handling has sure come in handy a few times so far

all the best,

R

6. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Chiming in here from my experiences. Planers are great, but you're limited as to what it can do. I've been working with a lot of burls and flamed wood and snipe has nearly ruined some very expensive and unique woods.
    I just purchased a Performax 16/32 drum sander. Cost almost 9 bills but, boy is this puppy great! It allows be to go dead flat with no snipe whatsoever. Bodys, neck lams, headstock veneers, cavity covers, inlays. It really does a lot. And with dust collection (you must have it) I surfaced an entire body on both sides and counted less than 20 grains of dust on the table. Quiet too!!

7. I agree 100% I have both a 20" Grizzly planer and a grizzy 458 drum sander :) In a perfect world get both!

B

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021