Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spent Most of the Day With Pete Hanewinckel...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Mar 20, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    ...so, of course, I had to buy the NAMM 7! It will be two weeks before I gig it but Pete thinks it has a somewhat more scooped tone than my other Hane 7. It plays just as well (that's saying something!) and I think it's exceptional in just about every regard. Beautiful fit 'n finish with Pete's usual obsessive attention to detail. It also has the Solaris body style which I like every bit as much, if not more, than the Fusion on my other one. A bit wider. Light swamp ash body with 5A Walnut top and headstock front and back laminates. Neck is maple with Wenge, 5 piece. The board is Wenge. Hardware is gold and it has the Parallel/Series switch, in addition to the mid selector. Barts with the 18v Bart pre. In short, Pete's latest. Pete even set it up with my preferred Smith strings. Came with a good padded gigbag and wide padded leather strap. And a great price. I'm a happy camper! :D

Pete is a dedicated, talented luthier, as anyone can see from his work, but he's also about the most "regular" guy you'll every meet. And that's a high compliment in my book.

So this is a California bass alll the way; made in Cypress and now residing in O'side. Its migration was just a short haul down the 405.

I'll post my usual rambling review once I gig with it in a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sweet!

Your first 7 is actually a Fusion body style - "Artist" is the options level (Vintage,Classic,Artist,Pro,Signature).

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Right, of course, as I knew very well and just spaced out. It's been a long day. I corrected it above. Where would I be without you to constantly correct me, geshel? ;)

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm. . .no comment. :p

P.S. I'm totally jealous. If I lived that close to his shop I'd probably be broke right now. :)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Great... now "I" have to buy another bass:(

:D

Looks great, bb.

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Boogie,
    Classy looking bass! I've never had the pleasure to play a Hanewinckel bass. I haven't seen one in the middle Georgia area. I'll have to keep my eyes and hears open. Congrats! :)

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Another score for Carl :D

Darn you to heck.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just jabbin' ya, dude. I actually appreciate you pointing out my errors. I make enough of 'em!

This bass was too hard for me to resist. Fortunately, I had the means to snag it.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, man. You 'n yer arsenal are doing pretty good, I'd say. :D

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks. I'm sold on 'em, that's for sure!

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh no! Not darned to heck! Isn't that a little severe???? :D

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    pfffttt... inside, you know you are saying:

"Great!!! Now I get to buy another bass!!! :D:D"

;)

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    And Boogie, I have never seen such a beauty of a walnut top. Well, maybe once or twice ;), but that's still one heck of a piece of wood! The gold matches it perfectly. Congrats on the new axe. It looks great.

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Just be glad you're on my good side! :mad: ;)

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Nick. It's a pretty excellent piece of walnut, alright. Looks way better up close, of course.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    oh man, just when i was convincing myself that less is more (strings that is) i see this beauty.

truly fine. I wonder if he gets his walnut from california walnut designs ?

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Not really sure, Don. Some of the nicest walnut I've seen, tho.

18. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Definitely one of the best (if not the best) Walnut tops I've ever seen. Gorgeous.

Congrats.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Hugh!

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    congrats again , boogie!! - im gonna have to make this a form letter for you! if it wasnt because im getting the Bass Player test Benavente tomorrow ( to acquaint myself with till my bennie is done, i have to give it back!!:( ) i would be even more jealous than i already am!!- peace!- A.