1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spent some time with Marilyn #2 and her cousins today. . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruuv, Apr 15, 2006.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    A local guy has a pretty vast collection of amazing basses and today he and I got together so that I could drool on his collection. My wife joked about me going to the "bass museum" today. Unfortunately I did not bring a camera so you all will have to take my word for it. Among the beauties, MTD Marilyn #2 (see Vic's avatar for one of her sisters), a NAMM 535 fretless with a crazy redwood top, an experimental 535 with a custom MIDI system on board, an F Bass Alain Caron fretless 5, a NAMM BN5 with a pre adjustment to make it a bit hotter output, an NS Design electric upright, Lakland American Joe Osborn, this crazy Lakland/Tobias hollowbody collaboration. . . oh, and a completely stock '65 jazz bass! Played everything through an EA iAMP 800 and VL-210 cab.

Needless to say, it was a beautiful afternoon. I was extremely impressed by the MTD's. They're such fantastic playing and sounding instruments. The Marilyn was one of the most responsive basses I've ever played, had great deep low end and was LIGHT as can be! The '65 was fantastic too... good wood really does improve with age.

I'll post more later, I'm just exhausted. But I was excited and wanted to get a thread up. :bassist:

2. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey Gruuv, it IS a pretty amazing collection, isn't it? Didn't I predict this reaction!!? :)

Glad you guys had a good time with Marilyn & Co.

Gruuv said: "Unfortunately I did not bring a camera so you all will have to take my word for it." Well, now you got a witness, boy... Gruuv ain't lying.

Are you going to tell everybody about your host? Meanwhile, a bit of inside info to all: he's biking buddies with Tobias. As in, Harleys.

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey man! I meant to get in touch with you a while back, but I got busy and forgetful :rollno:. We'll still have to get together and hang. . . yeah, that whole thing was wild. Tons of cool gear! I can't believe more people haven't responded to this thread. Maybe my title was too cryptic. :bag:

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I know who it is. He's a great guy, and has some really cool stories, as well.

Erich, when were you in Hawaii? Business and pleasure, or just pleasure/vacation? :)

5. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    :confused: Wha? I've actually never been to Hawaii, but I'd love to go. . . and stay there fo'eva!

Actually I can't say that for certain because I've never been there... but I have seen pictures

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well then maybe I'm wrong... I thought we were talking about JS?

7. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Nope, his initials are JW. . . that's funny though, I thought Hawaii was a metaphor for something I should've been picking up on!:D No, this guy is local to me (east Tennessee) and has quite a collection. I was really impressed by Marilyn, although the wenge/wenge thing just fits me better.

Edit: Oh, I think I know who you mean... TB'er JS?

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It'd be great if we could coordinate a "Marilyn GTG" someday. :) Of course, Michael would be there, since he is not only the maker but also the owner of Marilyn #1. :D

Tom.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I would work HARD to make that GTG fit my schedule!

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, ok, we're talkin' two diffs. I guess than I'd still like to know more about this other guy if possible. Sounds like he could have a LOT to share...

Thing is, JS is also a bike friend of Mike's. :)