Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sperzel locking tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 1, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    the idea is great, and the guitar ones are great.

how are the bass ones?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

There are bass ones?

Links please?

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
  4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I have locking Sperzels on a couple US Masters basses.

They are very high quality machines, very smooth and precise. The adjustable thumbwheel locking device is ingenious. Most definitely premium hardware (as reflected by their price).

The downside is snipping off the excess string leader after installing strings. This makes it difficult to transfer strings back to traditional type machines (if desired), which require a bit more leader.

I like them, but given a choice, I prefer US Hipshot Ultralites.

5. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    They are also standard on US Curbow basses. Really nice, but +1 on the hip shots.

Bassconbeatz

6. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, i rele wont have to be transferring them back. as far as holding their tune and ease of use, which would u prefer?

7. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    I have Sperzels on both of my Curbows and they're fantastic! I can't speak for hipshots, but the Sperzels have served me very well for almost three years now.

-Pete

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Given the choice of any brand of tuner, I would pick the Sperzels. I've had them on quite a few different Curbows over the years and they are the best.

As for not being able to transfer the strings to a different bass, it never even occured to me that that would enter into the equation when evaluating tuners. Of course, that's just me--it never came up in 20 years of playing.... :D