Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sperzel tuner problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Dec 19, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    :help: I have never used these tuners before and I press fitted them in to a neck to take a photo. When I took them out the "guide tubes, roll pins" in the back stayed in the neck and there is so little sticking out that I can't grab them with needle nose pliers. :rollno: any ideas? HELP! ......t

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ideas?

- if you're going to put the tuners back anyway, you might be able to just leave the roll pins where they are. But you would be taking a risk that as you pushed the tuners back, the pin could be driven further into the neck instead on into the hole in the tuner.

- itty bitty vice grips?

- if you're not going to use the sperzels, and you don't mind a little clean-up reconstruction, you can remove wood from around the pin, to get a better grip.

BTW, so that the rest of us can learn from your experience, what kind of wood is the neck, and what size holes did you drill?

3. I actually had the same problem earlier in the year. It was extremely frustrating at first, but since I ended up going with the sperzel's in the end, I just left the pin in place

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    We took a small machine threaded screw and screwed it into it them pulled it out with needle nose pliers. The neck is Maple, Bubinga and Sapele. Not sure what drill I used.........Not large enough though. :D