sperzel tuner problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Dec 19, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    :help: I have never used these tuners before and I press fitted them in to a neck to take a photo. When I took them out the "guide tubes, roll pins" in the back stayed in the neck and there is so little sticking out that I can't grab them with needle nose pliers. :rollno: any ideas? HELP! ......t

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ideas?

- if you're going to put the tuners back anyway, you might be able to just leave the roll pins where they are. But you would be taking a risk that as you pushed the tuners back, the pin could be driven further into the neck instead on into the hole in the tuner.

- itty bitty vice grips?

- if you're not going to use the sperzels, and you don't mind a little clean-up reconstruction, you can remove wood from around the pin, to get a better grip.

BTW, so that the rest of us can learn from your experience, what kind of wood is the neck, and what size holes did you drill?

3. I actually had the same problem earlier in the year. It was extremely frustrating at first, but since I ended up going with the sperzel's in the end, I just left the pin in place

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    We took a small machine threaded screw and screwed it into it them pulled it out with needle nose pliers. The neck is Maple, Bubinga and Sapele. Not sure what drill I used.........Not large enough though. :D