1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sperzel Tuners for my Peavey?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JeffJ2112, Dec 13, 2018.

1. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    My Peavey R. Sarzo's tuners are going bust, well, two of them are. Most likely going to go with the Gotoh GB7's but I've also been checking out the Sperzel's. Is it worth the extra work on the installation?

2. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    I have 12 Sperzel’s on my 12 string Warr Guitar and suffer of no neck dive... if that’s what you are looking for, other than going headless, that’d be the next best thing. Totally recommended, both weight-wise and aesthetically.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hipshot Ultralites are always my first choice and a direct drop-in for 3/8" (think Gotoh GB7) real estate. I also have Sperzels on my Carvin and have no complaints.

Riis

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    BTW, if you do decide to go with the Sperzels, let me know. I'm seriously considering replacing the set on my Carvin Bunny 5.

Riis

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  5. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I'm still up in the air, but I'll remember that!

Zooberwerx likes this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    JeffJ2112 likes this.
  7. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I just noticed that earlier today. Doesn't really affect my decision. Easy to do and inexpensive. I'm just worried about the drilling I'll have to do for them. Not much of a woodworker, so I'd probably have to pay to have them installed.

8. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Well, the Bass God has spoken!

I ordered the Gotohs, and when they got here I thought something looked odd about them. Then I realized they were inline so I returned them. The seller did not have the 2x2. So I went ahead and ordered the Sperzels. Brother in Law is going to help me on friday. Very competent at that sort of thing. Just hoping the "Power Plate" isn't too hard to deal with.

ctmullins likes this.
  9. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Lol, this thing has been a comedy of errors.

Got them installed, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Now, the problem is on the D string, I go to tune it and after a few rotations of the key, it just stops. Fiddle with the tension, same thing.

Any ideas?

10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Does the D string tuner turn freely with no string attached? I had one Sperzel that had a manufacturing defect in the gears, had to return it.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  11. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Nope, it stops at the same place.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sperzels are awesome.