Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPF on the back of my neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Deepwoods, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I am trying to complete a project P-bass for an upcoming gig in Cancun. I have a Mighty-mite p-bass Fender licensed neck which appears to be unfinished. I like the feel of it as is but I have concerns about the humidity factor and warpage. What type of finish should I apply that would be smooth and unfinished feeling but still offer protection from weather change, etc? Application instructions would be most helpful as well. I tried a search but did not come up with much directly addressing this. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
  3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I really like the feel of a product called Qualasole, for the backs of the necks, availiable at woodcrafters. It is a padding finish you just rub in coat after coat....t

4. I had a bass with a maple neck that was coated with nitrocellulose lacquer (guitar lacquer). The neck was nice but just a touch to "grabby" for my taste, so I took an ultrafine sanding pad and rubbing up and down along the length of the neck, "knocked" the finish down a tad. The neck is STILL finished, mind you and all the grain is sealed, but now it feels "naked"...very nice!

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Tung oil it, a lot. Just put on a coat, let it soak in, then rub. Keep doing this until it will take no more oil. Than just rub until it feels like you want it to. Unless it is just a matte finish on it, then you may not have to worry about it. Bring setup tools just in case you may need to make a trussrod adjustment anyways.

6. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Thanks for the great responses. I ended up going with Tru-oil, a gun stock oil from WalMart. After 3 coats on the neck with 0000 steel wool I am very pleased with the results. I applied the last coat with a rag rather than the steel wool and it left just the right amount of gloss. It looks like a factory finish, highly recommended.

7. Great suggestion! Thanks