Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spinal Meningitis

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by seansbrew, Jul 15, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Well my friends, I was recently hospitalized this past weekend for Spinal Meningitis. It all started with a severe headache that lasted for a couple of days. Then the vomiting and body aches started. This was the worst headache I have ever had in my entire life and it progressively worsened as time went on. Nothing would stop the headache or the vomiting. The pain became so severe I knew something was very wrong so off to the emergency room I went.
    Once I was checked into the ER the first step in the diagnosis was to check my melon for any bleeding and signs of stroke. After the CT scan turned up negative, the ER doctor recommended a spinal tap (which hurt like hell). I was then diagnosed with viral meningitis. The doctor recommended that I be admitted into the hospital for pain management. I agreed and was hospitalized for three days and nights. I am glad I let them admit me; I really wanted to go home. I had no idea that the pain would continue like it had in the beginning. I was put on morphine for the pain (woo hoo). This was the first time I have ever been hospitalized as an adult and I must tell you I was afraid. I remember how I felt when the doctor told me there was no cure for my disease. For a second I thought I was done for. Then she told me that my body would naturally fight off the evil invader without the use of drugs. She also told me that it could take several weeks to several months before I feel better. The problem is that the body’s defense mechanism that causes the headache can remain long after the virus has been expelled.
    I am at home now and am still battling the pain. I can only stand up for short periods of time before the excruciating pain starts to pound my head like a jack hammer. I am trying to take it one day at a time and remain optimistic. It has not even been a week and I feel I have had allot of time to think about my life and where I am going with it. Overall I feel pretty good about my life. I have a beautiful daughter and a loving wife and good friends and family that care about me. This does not mean that there is no room for improvement. There are many things that I have decided to change in my life. I don't want to let this experience go by without having learned something from it. It is unfortunate that we sometimes have to go through these types of life events before we decide to change the way we do things, but hey, that's life. I guess it's easy to become complacent in our day to day routines. But we do not have to let it come to this point to make change. Anyway, the headache is starting to come back and I must go lie down ( going to try to setup laptop), I just wanted to share me experience with you guys as I feel you are an extended part of my family too, Sean.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    This is Spinal Tap :bassist:

Sorry.

Ya, I got Epstien Barr a year and a half ago... I hurt all over... had no appetite... was in the hospital for a week and out of school for almost a month and half.

The bright side is, I lost crazy weight.

Reqeust vicodin. "Vicodin and Bahama Mama makes for a bitchin' day."

And get better.

3. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    When I had my head injury, I had spinal meningitis, too, and it was nooooooooo fun whatsoever, so I know exactly how you feel, lol.

The painkillers are a plus, and I lot of time laying down playing bass/watching DVDs endlessly

EDIT: Oh, and I still get really bad headaches (almost daily) to this day :meh: But that doesn't mean that YOU will...so. I've learned to live with it I guess, and the doctors say that there isn't really anything wrong with me anymore. I just always keep a bottle of Excedrine handy, haha

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Sean, dude, I'm glad you're ok!

That truly sucks, I hope you recover fully and soon.

5. A friend of mine just got over his bout of Spinal Meningitis. It didn't seem like much fun. Feel better bud.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, get better man, that sounds horrible.

7. A vaccination against meningitis is actually required now before attending a VA state university.

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks for your kind words everyone.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's a good thing that it didn't happen when you were younger. A drummer friend of mine had meningitis when he was a baby, and he lost a lot of his hearing. I hope you feel better soon! Let us know how it goes!

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Man, now I understand why Berklee keeps sending me these meningitis forms every week.

Feel better, dude.