spinning your bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dmbbassdude, Dec 28, 2001.

1. dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    I was watching a music video in which the bassist spun the bass around his body and caught it and kept playing. I have seen Victor Wooten do this and it looks pretty cool. Can any of you do this? I would like to learn but I don't think I could ever get the fortitude to try because of the fear of damaging my baby.
  2. was it a poison video? it's a pure cock rock move!
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The title had me confused. I thought the writer meant spinning a double bass, something that is not uncommon in rockabilly bands and bands like the Stray Cats. That bassist would spin his hot rod flame-painted double bass and never miss a beat. He also rode on it and still continued to play. What an amazing guy!!

As for electric basses. I've seen guitarists do that, but I don't recall seeing a bassist do that, being as basses are much bigger and heavier, but if Wooten has done it, I have to say I am impressed.

For myself, I'd be afraid I'd end up hitting myself in the head, jaw or mouth with it...maybe even knock out some teeth.:(
  4. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    i guess this doesn't belong in the bass guitar part, but boplicity said somethin about spinning the double bass... have you ever seen someone balance themself on a double bass? i REALLY wanna learn to do that. next year for marching band we're doing a jazz theme, and if i learn to do tricks with the bass, maybe i can get us visual points =)
  5. easy, buy a short scale P-bass knockoff, some good strap locks and a wireless system! :D
  6. Papa Roach Video. Tobin spins his Lakland around his body. Very Very cool. I practice with a broomstick w/ a strap on it. I've never done it to a bass. But I have seen guitar players do it, and not miss a beat.
  7. juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    tobin esperance, papa roach, spins his bass in the between angels and insects video, i think he does it really cool but i have never seen Victor wooten do it anyway.
  8. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I've seen victor do it at 2 different shows that were about 5 years apart. Both during the "Sinister Minister" solo. He never missed a beat. He also took off the bass during the solo and threw it at the audience, then catching it by the strap and putting it back on....also without missing a beat (and a very fast beat i might add). Both solos were about 10-15mins long!!!! :eek:

I would knock myself out:D

9. i think the bass player for Sum 41 does it in that video with the pool. it does look pretty cool, but i'll wait til i'm rich enough to afford an expendable squier.
  10. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    One of the guitar players of Iron Maiden use to do that a lot, and the bass player in Papa roach too..
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i can do it. i used my friends bass;) , the strap was pretty high so there wasnt a prob. when i showed him he wanted to try but lowerd his strap to much and bonnnnnnnnnnng! i dont know how tobin does it, his strap is pretty low.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Serena, I think that you get visual points no matter what.:)
  13. Picturing Embellisher as the dirty old man leering out his car window... "Want some candy, little girl?"

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member