Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spinoff: bands that never sold out

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Jul 6, 2001.

1. these should be bands that had the opportunity to sell out but never did.

of course, fugazi is at the top of the list. i'd also add radiohead, for completely turning their backs on pop success with their last two albums, and rancid, for the same reason.

2. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    You pretty much picked all the bands I had in mind. I also think Dave Matthews hasn't (for the most part) sold out. The have always been true to their fans and touring makes up who they are.

3. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    add: Goverment Issue, Henry Rollins & Clutch!

RE: Fugazi, I never saw anyone get so pissed in my life as whats his name when the crowd started asking for "Minor Threat" songs (about 12 years ago).

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    REM.

I don't like Reveal though. Not a sell out album, just a band begining to fade away.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The Men They Couldn't Hang.:D

They were kicked out of one of their record companies for refusing to change their name.

I love those guys!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Led Zeppelin - never released singles in the UK, even though "Stairway to Heaven" was voted as favourite track in polls several years running. Also they didn't reform after John Bonham died although they could have made much more money touring as Led Zep and playing "favourites".

7. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I assume you're talking about Ian MacKaye... There was an interesting thread on a local (ottawa)punk board about which of Fugazi or Minor Threat is better. Most people liked Fugazi better, but nearly the same amount said they liked Minor Threat better. They said that Minor Threat was more pure and honest, and less pretentious and contrived.

I personally used to listens to Minor Threat's complete discography about 8 times a day! I don't like them that much anymore, but I don't think I like Fugazi any better.

In any case, I don't understand why Ian MacKaye would get so mad. Honestly, who cares? If ya don't wanna play it, don't; however,people in the audience DO want to hear it...

anyways, just my $0.02...

8. Neil Young! Well, he's not a band, but he hasn't sold out.

9. Didnt Rancid go so far as to turn down a contract from Madonna's label and what have you? I must say, labels or not, they dun sound like theyve sold out.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    PRIMUS!

hehehe

they "almost" sold out with my name is mud and wynona but they returned to normal :)

they even released an album called ANTIPOP :D

11. Fathead, Moe., Deep bannana blackout, G.love and the special sauce, Ozomalti, string cheese incident, galactic, moxy fruvious. You probably havent heard of these bands but they have not sold out, oh just a minte G.love played on jenny jones and win ben stiens money take the out of the list.

12. I know most of you will probably disagree, but I think Blink 182 hasnt sold out. Their style of music has always been the same.

"But all the small things was a sellout song"

That was never their intentions. And I quote Mark Hoppus "Our biggest hit had a video where we made fun of boy bands. Why we would then be lumped into that scene is beyond me"

Blink 182 never had the "sophmore album disease", but i think that caught up to them later on Enema of The State, which isn't exactly the greatest cd. That was a downfall cd, not a sellout cd.

::end of rant::

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Dillinger Escape Plan.

14. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    SlayeR ;)

15. KISS ;)

16. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    yeah, no band that has their own line of COFFINS could have sold out :)

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    As in, like "Music from the Elder"? Not a sell out??? C'mon.

18. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    any australian bands :D always true blue, man ..

it seems that the only bands that tend to "sell out" are american. not a provocation for fire, simply an observation. although i s'pose america has the only sort of music market where one actually _can_ sell out - no Britney Spears or N'sh*t down under, i guess.

although sometimes i think some people say a band has sold out when it has become popular - does this depend on the type of audience that the form of music has become popular with ? say 13 year old teenie boppers decked out in bright colours proclaiming their love for slayer.. the very notion of "selling out" is, i think, highly subjective.
    i'd like some definitions, if you please :)

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    GWAR. You can still go see one of their shows for about $15 and have more fun than you should be allowed to have -- if you're brave enough to do the pit. I think the members are all very talented, very creative, very underrated musicians. When was the last time anyone saw or read anything about these guys, except in one of my posts? ;)

20. You know what's funny? GWAR can't play here in Richmond anymore. Can you imagine being banned in your own home town? They still have the occasional party at the Slave Pit, but they can't do public performances. We do get RAWG shows, Ex-Cops, the Dave Brockie Experience though.

Then again, I haven't seen GWAR in almost ten years anyway.

As far as no-sell out bands, I'd say Superchunk. They started their own label when Matador agreed to distribtion through a major company.