Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spinoff-Root Beer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. In relation to the Dr.Pepper/Mt.Dew thread...

For those of you who answered Root Beer- what's your favorite?

All around, for drinking by itself or making Root Beer floats, nothing beats Sprecher. It defines Creamy Root Beer Goodness.

http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/

2. Hires.
    And unfortunately its very hard to find it here now. Hires was very creamy and frothy and had a nice taste to it.

I dont even consider Barq's rootbeer, too me it tastes nothing like rootbeer should.

[​IMG]

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Stewart's if I'm out getting a burger. Mug if I'm buying a 12 pack for the house. I do prefer BirchBeer though!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    IBC is pretty good.

So is A&W

but, superior to those two

Henry weinhard's
    &
    Natural Brew Root Beer is also VERY good.

so it's a toss up between those two I think

5. Stewart's Cherries and Cream soda RAWKS!!!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Barques is my favorite, although A&W restaurants make the best root beer floats ever. My father once did a root beer taste-test where he bought every kind of root beer he could find to see which he liked best-Hires won.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Their Key Lime soda is probably my favorite all-time soda.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Henry Weinhards is definitely good. I'd drink it more often if it weren't so expensive.

Also worth checking out:
    Dad's Old Fashioned
    A&W

The lessers:
    Mug
    Barques
    Any Diet root beer. I've yet to find a diet root beer that's not craptacular. I prefer diet soda when at all possible, except for root beer.

The Unmentionables:
    Most generic brand root beers.

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Barques(sp), Mugs and A&W.

I really like the root beer you find when you go to like another city or town.

Its all good.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's got something funky going on. I think I've decided it's too sharp. It's got this weird bite to it that overpowers the other, and IMHO more desireable, flavor characteristics.

11. I'll see if the grocery store carries that. I know they have the Cherries n Cream, Orange Cream (both spectacular!) and the Strawberries and Cream ( :meh: ) and the Root Beer.

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Anyone know why it's called "root beer" ?
    And why so many different companies use the same name?

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    we made root beer in chemistry class, it was near the last days of school, everyone was just slacking off(oh wait, we did that all year!)

It turned out pretty well in terms of composition and carbonation, BUT it was BITTER as all hell. It needed like a pound more sugar than we put it, yes it was THAT bitter.

It was a lot of fun to make though. We also made ice cream, which was equally fun, the ice cream actually turned out alright.

14. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The best ever.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    this is true, it's also what soda makers refer to as 'mouth-feel'

Barq's is all about the mouth-feel, I barely call it root beer, compared to traditional root beers, but it still has it's place, and goes well with meals.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Heck yeah. That'll wash down even the nastiest tuna cassarole. It's mouth flavor will immediately and utterly shock your mouth into a state of numbness, especially when it's nigh but freezing (the only way to drink soda). Bang, no more tuna cassarole.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Coca Cola is similar, but not nearly as extreme, but certainly, I prefer drinking Coke when eating over pepsi, but I generally prefer pepsi when I'm just looking for something sweet and tingly in my mouth.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anything to get rid of the tuna cassarole!

I'm pretty easy on sodas. There only stuff I can't tolerate are the "diet with lemon" varieties (Pepsi Twist, et al), and the super-hyper-caffiene varieties, like Jolt.

Other than that, I think I can stomach and dig just about anything to varying degrees. The Key Lime soda mentioned earlier is a bit of a strech, but if it's that or a Twist...I'll take the Key lime.

Now I'm all frothed over for some root beer.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, well, it's not that I really care either way, I barely even drink soda, but, given the choice, I more often than not prefer a coke over a pepsi when eating a meal.