Spiral Architect

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JonnyLentilbean, Apr 16, 2002.

1. hello everyone. i'm wondering if anyone here knows of the bassist from SPIRAL ARCHITECT. for those who don't know, they are an awesome prog/jazz/metal band from norway. that bassist is very remarkable, i think his name may be lars norberg? i could be wrong. any help?
  2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Yep -- Lars K. Norberg.

I like their CD quite a bit, but I'm at a loss for words to describe their style. What I do know, though, is if music were an athletic competition, Spiral Architect would have quite a few gold medals.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've heard about them, but never heard them. Any suggestions as to which CDs I should try? Thanks :)
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I think they've only released one CD?

I didn't like it at all. Songs can focus on virtuosity and still be good. Songs can be rhythmically complex, and still be catchy. Songs can be erratic but still be enjoyable. This, however, was all of it yet none of it. At least not to my ears. Maybe it'll grow on me later.

And the bassist's tone is occasionally so honky it's unpleasant.
  5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    The first time i heard spiral architect, i didn't liked at all, speacially the vocals, but then i started to listen carefully to all the details and guess what... now is one of my favorite groups.... the fact is that spiral architect is a group that you must listen a lot to get used then you will understand the whole concept, vocals fit incredibly to the music. It's true at the beggining it's difficult to get used. I still think that bass sounds not so good, but the bass player kick @ss!!!
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    any songs i should check out?
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    According to a poll I saw (don't remember if it was on the official site or elsewhere), "Insect" is the most popular song among fans. Written by the bassist, IIRC.
  8. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    download also "spinning" and "excessit", two really good songs....
  9. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Wow, I'm resurrecting a long dead thread here! I've been listening to these guys for a while now, and they are one of my favorite bands. Too bad I didn't hear of them back a few years ago, because the bassist is absolutely AMAZING!

If you like prog, or jazz influenced metal, dig up their album "A Sceptic's Universe" and prepare for a total mindf**k. As for the bassist, I can only describe him as Jaco with horns.

Yes, I said it... Jaco with horns! I love it!