Spirit Steinbergers. Anyone play these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Hammer, Jan 5, 2005.

1. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I've been wanting to get a bass that I can carry on a plane and I've been thinking of a Steinberger. I found these on musicyo.com and I was wondering how they sounded and played. Any thoughts?
  2. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    At 400 bucks, you may want to look at the Hohner B2av also. I especially like the cherryburst maple top (what little there is)
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've currently got one of the XZ-2s ("regular" body shape) that I've strung up BEAD for messing around (had to dremel out the B string channel in the string retainer). I've had a bunch of them XTs and XZs in 4 and 5 string over the last few years.

I think they are decent value for the money. Pretty well built (solid), resonant and fun to play. I'm not a big fan of the electronics and the folks on the Steinberger world list recommend at least replacing the pots with high quality ones. I haven't had a real Steinberger (yet?) so I can't compare them.

I do recommend them for travel (that's one of the reasons I have mine, although I haven't travelled with it yet).

I've got some soundclips of one on Soundclick if you want an idea of what they sound like (they all pretty much sound alike to me, regardless of model).
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I had a steinberger spirit for a few years. It was my spare, but I sold it because I didn't use it often.

It makes an excellent spare to save a gig, because they stay in tune like you wouldn't believe and they are easy to carry. They make great travel basses as well.

One thing to note is that the bass rests a little wierd on a strap. I found myself constantly having to shift bass over, so it would be in a suitable playing position. It doesn't hang from a strap in a position that is natural to my playing.

Other than that the bass has some decent sounds, and is easy to play. The neck is not thin, but somewhat on the chunky side.