1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spiro d and g, helicore orchestrals

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by sean p, Mar 17, 2002.

1. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    some strings i don't want/need: new spirocore d&g (weich), older full set of helicore orchestral mediums, played moderately.

i would prefer to trade with someone in a similar situation, for the sake of sharing strings around and saving everybody some money, but monetary offers are okay too.

sean p

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    It'd be interesting that you tell us what you're looking for in a trade though...

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    man, i'm open-minded about which strings to trade for. read: i haven't tried many. my experience ends after helicores, spiros, superflexibles, and flexocor.

i'm interested in trying out some gut-like strings - i've heard corellis mentioned, though i tend more toward thicker guage (the spiro weichs are too thin for me). nylon-wound strings are very interesting to me too ... golden spirals would be ideal, or Labella deep-talking bass (haven't heard any reviews of these, though).

sean p

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Corellis gut-like?
    No way IMHO!
    I find them quite bright and metallic.
    Golden Spirals are round nylon over gut I think.
    LaBella black nylon? I've yet to find players other than Ron Carter, Buster Williams and Mads Vinding that like them. I've tried them on several basses and hate them.
    You'd better look at Obligatos (by Pirastro). They're flat metal over synthetic core.
    There are also the Innovations, available in solid synthetic core, braided synthetic core and black nylon wound. I've tried the braided core, but didn't like them.
    Super-Sensitive has the synthetic core Sensicores.
    You can now get the Eurosonic strings, formerly known as Presto.
    I've ordered a G and D and will let you know my findings soon in the strings area. They're steel rope-core with silk, wound with flat polyester. They're thick as gut strings and meant to replace them.
    Someone has his D and G for sale in the Acousticbass.com web page.
    Of course there are the Olivs and Eudoxas by Pirastro. The former is flat chromesteel over gut, the latter flat silver over gut.

Hope this helps!

5. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'd like to know what played moderately means, but assuming that they are still plenty serviceable, I'd be willing to trade you a set of Helicore hybrids which have been played very little. You can email me directly at lownote@starband.net

Erik Hansen

6. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Oops. I should have included this in my first post. I would also be willing to trade you for a set of Velvet Compass 360's that were on my bass for about a year of light pizzicato playing. This will certainly give you some experience with gut-like strings.

Erik Hansen