1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spiro Mits vs. EP Mits (or Weichs even)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by hdiddy, Oct 11, 2009.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Too many monster threads.... TL;DR.

Can someone just compare Spiro's vs. Evah Pizz for me? I'm looking for sound, feel, tension, sustain, growl (yes I know it's a setup thing mostly), and volume.

Thanks.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Spiro Mittels are brighter and growlier than EPs.

The regular EPs are tighter and thicker feeling, a bit louder (fuller sounding) and bow easier with a darker sound. I found playing them tired me more than Spiros.

Weich EPs are looser feeling, more growl but still much darker. Good with the bow. I've been playing these for five months now and like them although I think they're losing some life.

3. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    oh good. Yeah I don't need darker! :D

YAY for not having to try out EPs! :hyper:

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Eric the Great and I agree. I've been around the block a hundred times, trying everything.
    Smittels on my old German bass are absolutely perfect. The EP weichs after three weeks had all the life of a wet blanket. The feel is similar, but mittels give me the sound I want, both pizz and arco with very little effort. I do hope they last forever.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My experience with the EPs (weichs) was drastically different than those of Clink's. I consider them to be among the very best all around strings I've used. Since I started the EP weichs uberthread, I won't restate my impressions here.

The EP Mittels are stiffer and darker than Spiros, by a great margin. I like them as an arco string, but the pizz was a little choked for my taste. The EP Mittels are so different from the EP Weichs, it's hard to even compare them, in my experience.

But Huy... you said it.... if the Spiros are working on your bass and in your ears, just leave 'em alone. They're terrific strings.

Clink, you should be very happy with the Spiros' longevity. I've said it before.... they're Kryptonite. They age beautifully.

6. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I was just looking at the greener grass as my LH has been feeling sore. But it's maybe cuz I've been practicing 3 times more than I used to. :p

It's a good problem to have I suppose.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Ditto and I won't repeat my own comments from that thread except to say that I think the comparison should really be between Spiro mittels and EP weichs. I think of the EP weichs as a "mittel" and the EP mittels as a "stark." Ah, but what's in a name? ;)

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I agree.

It's probably obvious by now, but let's not forget Spiro Weichs... Great sound, pizz and arco, very easy to play, plenty loud on my basses, and legendary Spiro longevity. Still very high on my string list.

I'm swimming in the gut end of the pool now, but I'll never stop recommending Spiros for most bassists.

9. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have no experience w/ EP weichs, but they sound a little tempting to try on my Kay (at least the E and A). On my Lang hybrid, coming from EP "mittels" to Spiro mittels has been rather awesome.. I find there's a great deal more clarity with both arco and pizz (as well as loudness), they start up right away with the bow, and there's a certain sweetness in them that I think will only get sweeter and sweeter. The bass is just ringing like crazy.. FWIW, I put felt washers on the D and G strings.

10. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Thanks for the comments regardless guys. I decided this morning that after putting on an FC and setup is settling in while the Stark E has decided to start to mellow - these strings sound fantastic on my bass. Not looking any further. I'm even happy with them for arco. :eek:

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That'll change.

:bag: :D

12. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    grrrr......

razzum frazzum. :mad:

:p

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Huy, if it makes you feel any better, I've tried all the different types of spiros, Dominants, and both types of EP. In order, my preferences would be:

E - Spiro stark. No competition from any of the others. Period. When Chuck Norris goes to bed at night, he checks his closet to see if there's a stark E in there. If there is, he slinks off to sleep with the boogeyman.

G, D, and A:

1) Dominants. Yeah, they break if you take them off and put them back on, and when the metal part wraps around the peg. But they kill, and mine have been trouble free for 3 years or so. They have everything I love about Spiros without any of the stuff I don't like so much.

2) Spiro mittels. They're beautiful once they settle in. They've got a little "boing" on the G that sends many bassists IN SEARCH OF, but they will stand by you like a loyal dog and never let you down.

2) Spiro starks. If you don't like tension, you'll hate these. If you like tension, they hit you like a Mike Tyson uppercut, and cut through drums the same way. I'm getting too old to keep a full set on, but when I did, I never lacked a knockout punch when I needed one.

3) Spiro weichs. John Goldsby left a set on my office bass this summer, and I actually really liked them. They lack the power of the mittels (especially on the G string), but they sound really good, and a good player can really get around on them and make them sing.

4) Evah weichs. They're really nice when you first put them on, but they start to darken pretty quickly, and I don't really dig a string that dark. They also give out at some point when you really kick 'em, which Dominants, mittles, and Spiro starks never really do.

5) Evah mittels. They feel like playing spiro starks, but they don't pack the same punch. I found them tiring, and I like tension. Keep in mind, I'm all pizz. I imagine if I were bowing them, I could drop them down a bit and find the range pretty easily.

14. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I like that summary Chris. It's about like my feelings too.

Makes me want to try a Dom G on the Queen. I've not done that yet.

15. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I once tried Doms on the old bass. Liked them til they started going dead and broke. Naw, I'm pretty goddman happy with the mits. Dig that attack and even that plink of your finger hitting them before they go off. Arco wise, actually even the new mit's do pretty good. Very clear and loud. Had a friend bow them (also a bassplayer) at the office.... very very nice sound.

No contest on the stark E fo sho. But your summary puts the last nail in the coffin even if it's already a dead and gone issue. Thanks.

16. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    I love the Doms. The breakage issued got to me. If it hadn't I'd still be using 'em. I'm a happy EP weich player now. The thing that I have NEVER experienced was the EP weichs giving out. My strings are adjusted to be on the high side and I play in a relatively strong, percussive style. I've kicked those EP weichs very hard and never had a hint of them giving up. Just another example of YMMV when it comes to the interactions among strings, basses, and players.

17. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Famous last words. Ah, so you think your mind is at ease? You think you can escape SCS (String Curiosity Syndrome)? Forget it! In the middle of the night, a voice will come to you. It will say, "Hmm-- don't you wonder how the EP weichs would sound and feel on your bass?" You'll never know until you try... :bag:
    :):):)

18. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I'll just read about it here. Usually the description for any string goes "punchy, dark yet defined, gut-like, has sustain and some growl, stiff but still pliable".

And it usually ends with TOAD saying ****it i'm going back to Spiros.
    Amirite? :p

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    yep.

20. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver