1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spiro Mittel OliV G

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassbuddie, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    I have Spiros Mittel and I am happy with the sound. I tried D and G gut on top, I love the G gut, the feeling the low tension.... but the bow sound is awful. I prefer the D spiro. My question is: What do you think of Oliv G with E A D Spiros?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think that would be great after the Spiros break in.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    The distinction between the Spiro D and Olive G is fairly large until the D is very worn in. The spiro G is much more compatible in comparison. The oliv pizz is very dark, with a shorter note and just a breath of "singing" tone. The Spiro D has usually got more of the buzzy spiro thing for longer than the other 3 Spiros so when paired with that G it seems even more brash...at least on my basses.

Arco on Oliv is much more friendly than the Spiros but the spiros under the bow cut through very well and have an authority to them the Olivs don't have. The Olive makes a very nice blendable sound I'd imagine my be better in a section. I dunno about that.

I've started to prefer the Spiro these days even though the Oliv is such an outstanding string. When the SpiroG finally breaks in and starts getting old I think it's sound is very friendly and workable even with the bow.

My recordings of my good bass with the spiroG vs. the Oliv G made it clear to me the Spiro has a definition to it and a power to it that the Oliv didn't.

Having said all that I love the Oliv G string and could easily play all day on that.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Maybe we need one bass with that setup.... just one Oliv G. :meh:

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Buddie... one thing that might work would be Spiro A & E, Evah Pirazzi D, and Oliv G. That could be a smoother transition between the bottom and top strings.

6. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    That is an idea, I already have the Evah D. That would be a good multicultural set.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    That's worth trying. I though the Oliv D was to thunky for me but the EP D might just be the right thing.

8. I currently have that on one of my basses. Spiro Mittel E, Evah A and D, Oliv G. To me the Evah D does blend well with the Oliv G. Nice even sound across the whole set, and the whole set bows well. Both the Oliv G and the Spiro E beat the Evahs for me. I recognize It's a multi-kulti approach, lots of different colored stockings...

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Hmnnn

I like that mix, I didn't notice you doing that before.

Might have to try that.

10. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    I sure will. Then come back to spiros of course ;)

11. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Oh no! They finally got you, too! :meh::eek:

:D

12. It's a good mix.

I put on a full set of Evahs about 3 months ago and realized pretty soon after I was going to miss the Spiro E. Also the Evah G didn't really grab me. So there I am. Wondered in the meantime if I really liked the Evah A and D, but now they're in my ear and I like them more and more.

It sort of evolved. Sound familiar?

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Now I haven't picked up a string winder yet....I'm just talkin....

14. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Played Weichs with a an Oliv G for a couple of weeks. Loved the sound at home but on the gig, the Oliv just felt too slow, if you know what I mean, and the sound was a little undefined compared to the weichs. I also used an Evah G with the weichs and liked that a lot more both feel wise and sound wise.

15. Yeah, I know what you mean.

The Oliv G has a more complex sound, less focussed than the Spiro Weichs. It's wrapped gut. To my ear it the Evah D has more in common with the Oliv G than a Spiro D. For me the Evah D blends well with Oliv G, probably better than the Spiro Weich D (although I haven't mixed those two yet).

What the Oliv G can do is project, even in the higher positions. Gut doesn't "crap out" when you need it above V position, like a Spiro Weich G will or some synthetic G strings like Obligato and to some extent the Evah G.

16. I just switched to this setup yesterday. About three months ago I bought a new set of Evah's with an Oliv G. I still really like the Evah's but with a lot of the music I am playing now I need more sustain and that spiro sound. I had never tried spiros on my bass either, so once I got curious it was just a matter of time. Right now the D is REALLY bright compared to the three-month-old oliv, but that was to be expected. When the spiros darken up a bit (they are mittels) I think the sound will be just what I am looking for. The extended E sounds great, and I much prefer it to the Evah. Plus I'm sure that spiros will outlive the Evah's by a couple of years. So far so good with this change.

Adam.

17. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    For you folks who've used the Spiro E&A, Evah D and Olive G --
    How does the Evah D fit, both tension-wise and in diameter, between the Spiro A and Olive G?

18. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I have the spiro ea, evah d and oliv g on one of my basses and I like it for that bass. the evah is about the same diameter as the oliv and the tension is a good transition between the spiro and the oliv, on my other basses I use spiro ea and oliv d g.

19. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    So I bought an Olive G and Evah D and put then on my Shen bass with Spiro mittels on the A and E. I played a gig tonight and the whole thing was great! I like the full Spiro set, but on louder gigs I was still finding the G to be thin sounding, the D too to some extent.

The Olive G, as usual, rocks! A classic for good reason. The Evah D seemed a little dull compared to the Olive at first, but it seems to be perking up a bit as I play it. Both strings sound very good through the Full Circle and blend well with the Spiros on the bottom.

When using the Spiro G, I miss the way you can really grab a hold of the string like you can with a gut or Anima. Steel Gs always feel sort of sharp against my fingers, and I also feel like I can control my intonation better with the Olive. You lose some of the singiness with the Olive, but that's not really my thing anyway.

The Evah D seems a little lower in tension than the Olive and noticably lower than the Spiro A. I'm thinking that a Weich A might be better next to it. (why do I ever sell strings?! I wind up buying the same ones again!) A thing I like about the Evah D -- I have to do a little slapping on some of my gigs and the Evah D is much better than the Spiro for this. The Spiro D made too much of a sproing-sproing sound when slapped. The Olive G sounds great slapped too, but I know they are delicate so I need to be careful.

What's great about all of this for me is finding a setup that I can use in all situations, including arco. I haven't really been missing the guts or Animas.

20. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    For the record, It is my opinion that the Oliv G is the best G string this side of a Victoria's Secret catalog. I tried dang near everything else and keep coming back (to the string, that is). Had it on with Spiros, Jazzers, Eudoxas (currently), Evah's. I can't beat it!