1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spiro questions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by unbrokenchain, Jan 10, 2012.

1. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    today i changed out some innovation rockabilly strings for new spirocore mittels. my main reason was to achieve better acoustic volume for small gigs and playing on the street. the mittels definitely win in volume and clarity. i have to say, though, i really enjoy the sound of the innovations even if they are quiet (and they do sound good amplified).

so i have two questions for all the spiro gurus:

1. is it bad that there is exactly one turn of E string (past the red windings) around the tuner? my bass has a string length right at 42" but the E string seemed just a little too long

2. how long until the zing goes away? i want the thump.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    1) No
    2) Patience. It varies, but play them for a month before you even start to decide

3. Not bad!!! And as Marcus was saying be patient! I use Spiro Mittels only on E and A and guts D and G but also change guts back to Spiro Mittels D and G. Trust me that annoying zing will go away unless your action is ridiculously low or your board never been seen by a luthier!! I also have given up buying new Spiro Mittels because it takes months to get the sound I like! When I see someone selling them at 3-4-5 months old here on the forum I pm them straight up and get a set for 90-100 bucks. They last for ever and its the only string that goes with my bass, goes with my ears, goes with feel and sound!

4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Concur- I kept a set on a bass for twelve years- only changed them out because of "the string fever"...

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Truly one of the great values in the world of double bass... they're an investment. They last forever and improve with age. Through all my string experiments, I always had a set in the string drawer. And now I have them on the bass, and it sounds fantastic.

6. Back to the drawing board. :bag:

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, you don't really think of Spiros and "thump" at the same time. You might want to get into some gut strings.

8. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    i'm starting to like these strings more. took me a minute to get used to the sustain, and while the innovations might sound more round or thumpy, the spiros respond much better to playing hard. now that ive realized that i can dig into the strings pretty much as hard as i want with no buzz (even at pretty low action), i feel like my playing got a kind of nitro-boost. all i want to do is keep playing, have to remember to eat and sleep.

9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    If you haven't been, play a handful of gigs with them too. What sounds "zingy" at home sometimes sounds very full and balanced in a bar, with a drummer. Conversely what sounds "warm" and "round" and "woody" at home can get complely lost in a sub-optimal live setting. Don't know about you, but 99% of my gigs are in sub-optimal live settings...and that's being polite.

10. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    SAGE advice!!!

11. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    +1000!!!

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey TROIKA, I love your new sig line! :D

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If the Spiros I have on the bass now were as zingy as some of the ones I've used in the past, they might not be on the bass any more. This set gave me none of that. They have all the sustain that I like in Spiros, but without the buzz saw. Maybe I just got lucky, maybe they actually did change the formula, I don't know. It's really a good set this time around, whatever the reasons.

14. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    played first gig with the spirocores last night. i did have blisters where i normally wouldn't, but they sure do sound good. it's a restaurant gig and we don't have much room to work with (no stage, they just move a few tables) so an amp is kinda out of the question. finally i could hear my low E and F over the noise of the restaurant!

15. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    I do not agree! I see spiros as extremely transparent strings that can get you almost anywhere you want them to depending on how you use them. For an example, take swedish Martin Sjöstedt who i think get's a real thump with his spiros: Slow Charles by Fredrik Kronkvist on Spotify

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I couldn't open the link, Edvin. But as a guy who has played both Spiros and full gut sets extensively, I stand by my comment. Spiros would not be my first suggestion to someone who told me "I want a thumpy string". YMMV.

17. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    try looking for martin sjöstedt and the album slow charles then! if not, this is the only clip i've found on youtube:
    ReFraction feat Joey Calderazzo - YouTube

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I found this, iTunes - Music - Slow Charles by Martin Sjostedt Band including "Slow Charles"... first... Martin sounds beautiful. I'm glad you turned me onto him. To me, this sounds like a classic Spirocore tone. Again, not really thump to my ears. But it's cool, I know there are rockabilly guys and bluegrassers that get 'em to thump. If I wanted thump, I'd go to the guts that I used to play personally, but whatever works.

19. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    okey man, then i might have a different definition of thump :) Yeah, Martin is great! He's a wonderful teacher/eucator as well. And i must not forget, he's an incredible pianist as well!
    Johan Löfcrantz Ramsay with Martin Sjöstedt Quintet- Live at Glenn Miller Café, Stockholm - YouTube (here with Daniel Franck on bass)