1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spiro Weich = Spiro Stark Solo?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Co., Oct 6, 2013.

1. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    Since the discussion about Spiro Starks are pretty active at the moment and someone raised the question, if they are any good for solo playing (in orchestral tuning), I was thinking about a Stark version of the solo tuning set.
    A Spirocore Weich string tuned up a whole step should have the same tension as a Spirocore Stark string in orchestral tuning.
    Did someone ever try this? I have read somewhere, that Gary Karr used to use orchestral tuning A & E strings, tuned up a step as B & F# solo strings.
    If it works out, this could be a wonderful all purpose string, for orchestral playing, jazz playing and the possibility, to play solo repertoire in solo tuning, all on the same bass with the same set of strings.
    Perhaps one could lessen the pressure on the table, by installing an adjustable saddle.

2. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Oooh -- I am very interested in this thread. How did figure the tension at solo pitch?

3. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
  4. foilracer

foilracer Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Having just installed 3 "solo" strings I, II & III plus a spiro mittle tuned to E rather than F# (my standard tuning is D,A,d,g) this thread may shed some light on what a solo string really "is". The three solo strings sound like the spiro = bright, clear, tewangy. My question...are steel "solo" strings made (wound) with ingredients similar to the spiro string or similar to orchestral/arco strings like original flexocore?