1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

spiro weichs and helicore hybrids

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by lowEndRick, Mar 3, 2008.

1. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I can't seem to find the info I am looking for. How do the D'Addario Hybrids and Spiro Weichs compare in terms of gauge/diameter?

I looked at the chart in the sticky, but it does not seem to list the info for the d'addario hybrids.

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I know the medium Helicores are just a bit smaller than Spiro Mittels. Mine are a bit warmer than the Spiros, but they may just be used up, although the Spiros are at least 6 mos old. YMMV
    I don't have any Weich to compare.

3. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Don't have my strings and calipers in the same place. Weichs are thinner, as I recall.

IMHO, they also bow easier, sound sweeter arco, and have more loving pizz. Not as loud, though.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    My memory as well. The G and D are softer and warmer than the Mittels.

5. Reuben

Reuben Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    The light gauge helicores are similar in size and tension to spiro weichs.

6. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Yeah -- even though the Helis are warmer and a bit easier to play -- I always seemed to be working too hard when I played them...

The Spiros are tighter & brighter, but consequently, they don't seem to take as much effort...pizz that is...

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I apologise about the Sticky. :)

I have some new data for it, but because of the nature of the Forum software, I'm not allowed to go into it and update it. I have to re-format it and send it to Francois to upload and I just haven't made time to do that.

Computer not being as natural to me as some other languages, like English and music.........

Here are some relevant numbers for you to peruse.

D’Addario Helicore Hybrid
    Light xx xx .082 .110
    Medium .053 .059 .082 .120

Thomastik Spirocore
    Weich .046 .063 .079 .107
    Mittel .052 .070 .085 .111

Hope this helps.

8. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I have obligatos on my hybrid and I am looking for more volume for orchestra playing while still keeping the option of using this bass for bluegrass. Helicores and Weichs seem appealing, but I think I should go with the heavier gauge Helicores. An experiment regardless.

thanks again

9. LowendRick: Have you thought about Evah Pirazzis? They are a hybrid string like the Obligatos but better IMO. They are loud and easier to bow on my bass than Spiros (Weich or Mittel). They also have a tinge of 'gut' to them, not much, but more than an all steel string.

10. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    The main thing holding me back from the Evahs are the price here in the US. Helicore hybrids are almost 1/2 the price.

11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I hear you Jason. They are just the ticket on my new bass though. The Spircores are just too bright.

12. Lowendrick: Ssshhh! please don't bring reality into the strings forum, UncleToad might disappear in a puff of smoke! ;)