1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spirocore - 3/4 weich vs. 4/4 mittel?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Scott Lynch, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    I am a long time fan of the 4/4 Spiro Mitts and always seem to come back to them after trying out other types of strings. The set I have, though, is getting old. The E and A still have some life but the D and G in particular are coming up on 10 years and have some serious wear on the peg-end silks and windings. My bass is a large-bodied 3/4 with a mensure of 105 cm and I'm wondering if there would be any advantages to trying the 3/4 weich set over the 4/4 mediums.

Anyone have a comparison of these two sets specificially they'd like to share? Also, for tension measurement purposes, what scale length does Thomastik use to measure their 3/4 strings?

2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I use the 3/4 light set and tension-wise it’s a nice middle ground between the more common 4/4 medium and 4/4 light sets. The advantages I find over the 4/4 medium set are easier playability and better arco performance. Of course when you switch to a lighter gauge set of strings you may find that you have to play with a different touch, although this set isn’t too light in my opinion. Whether you notice difference in volume probably depends on your bass. I don’t know the answer to your last question as far as what scale length Thomastik uses for their tension measurements.

- Steve

Scott Lynch likes this.
  3. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2010
    This should help Screenshot_20181116-154737_Drive.

craigie and Povl Carstensen like this.
  4. Scott Lynch

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Thanks, Clarky. I like how this chart lines everything up in order. The one thing that piques my interest is that this chart assumes that the 3/4 Spiros' tensions are measured at 106 cm. @DoubleMIDI 's Dropbox chart, however, measures them at 104 cm, bringing the tension of the 3/4 lights much closer to 4/4 mediums and the 3/4 mediums closer to the 4/4 stark in tension.

I just sent an e-mail to TI asking for clarification.

5. I got my information directly from Thomastik, so it's 104 cm for Thomastik 3/4 strings.
    D'Addario uses 106 cm for their tension data.

6. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Lurking.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Any idea if it is possible to buy single 3/4 spiro strings here in the states?

8. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Golliher advertises the 3/4 3885 series sets in weich and mittel.

Caveat: I'm not sure that they sell the 3885 series sets as singles, their single string drop-down doesn't seem to change if a 3885 set is selected. Perhaps Mark could clarify?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  9. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I did a search as I wanted to find a 3/4 medium E but nothing came up.

@Mark Gollihur Do you sell single 3/4 spiros?

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  10. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC

Sure. I don't think I have them listed in the drop down for single strings - but order a 4/4 (from the S42 set) and put a note in the text box at checkout that you want the 3/4 size (from 3885 set) E and we'll send you that. They're the same price.

dhergert and Sam Dingle like this.
  11. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Is there such a thing as a 3/4 weich extended E?

Sam Dingle likes this.
  12. Scott Lynch

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    AFAIK Thomastik does not make Ext Es for their 3/4 sets. I sure wish they did though. I'm considering an extension for my bass but worry about the tension of the 4/4 mittel long E. It's rated as heavy as a stark E, which I've found to be too heavy for my bass.

13. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I do not see a part number for such a string - considering the already small percentage of customers needing long E strings, I find it unlikely that they'd make a 3/4-specific extension E string. Here's the extension strings they do offer:

S44 [​IMG] [​IMG] Spirocore Bass Extended C (Aka, "Extension E") [​IMG]
    S44W [​IMG] [​IMG] Spirocore Bass Extended C Weich (Aka: Extension E) [​IMG]
    S44S [​IMG] [​IMG] Spirocore Bass Extended F# Solo (Aka C-Extension)

Scott, if you're worried about tension, you could get the SOLO S44S and tune it to E/C; this would likely be lighter than a 3/4-specific one, if such a thing had existed.

14. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have found that the extension string is more suited to be mixed with the 3/4 strings. The mittle long C is a touch heavier than the normal length medium and not as heavy (or glorious) as the stark. So I would argue that the extension string IS the 3/4 string.

15. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    My luither said that the extension weich sounds tighter and “stiffer” than the 4/4 weich he had on before the extension

16. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    For those who don't want to use either mittels or the 4/4 weichs (but want some of the characteristics of both), IME the 3/4 weichs are just the ticket.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  17. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Ithaca/Seattle
    I was able to do this when I broke my A string (broke at the tailpiece end while I was tuning).
    No, but Thomastik's long E strings are much higher tension than the sets to which they belong; the S42W long E blends perfectly with the 3885W ADG strings I have, but when I used S42W strings it felt very tight in comparison.

18. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    EDIT for my comment above. I misread this by Mark - you in fact can order a 3/4 size single. Thanks, Gollihurs!

Mark Gollihur and dhergert like this.
  19. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    See the other thread. Golliher says if you order a single string and specify the 3/4 version in the comments he’ll send that one

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Not sure what the other thread is, but I would be interested in a 3/4 G string.