1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spirocore changed?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rzakota, Sep 15, 2008.

1. rzakota

rzakota

Oct 24, 2007
    Kawasaki, Japan
    I recently tried both Spirocore Mid and Light tension(whole set), and I felt like Thomastik changed the way to make Spirocore. I now have Light set on my bass for about 4 months, and they are already dead!(no sustain, getting tighter).

So did thomastik chage the way to make it? I don't know what it is, but it feels different.

And, does anybody know good alternative for Spirocore? I don't like D'Addario.

Thank you!

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I put a new set on my bass recently and they were as dark as the 10 year old ones that were on the bass when I bought it. My bass doesn't project a lot of highs but I thought that I would get that Spirocore sound for at least a minute or two. Nope. I bought a set of Dominants and I am enjoying the sound I get with them. Bright enough but with a rounder core of sound.

3. I've just put a set of mediums on and they are not the string I was expecting.

A lot darker, very little fizz.
    They are also stiffer/tighter feeling than the medium spiros they are replacing.

Apart from the higher tension feel I actually really like them, but I'm now concerned to think they'll die quickly. I want the sound they have now to last.

They are very different from the previous spiros I've used.

4. You guys need to check out Pirastro Jazzers!
    :)

5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    We had this discussion on here about four years ago, when I and some others noticed the change (the same one you all are mentioning). The Thomastik rep who was a member here (Mike) insisted that nothing had changed with Spirocores, but I sure noticed a difference.

Francois is right, if you want a string that's like a cross between the old spiro weich and mittel, try the Jazzers. I personally really like the new spiros, although I do yearn for the old vibe sometimes.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Amen. Under rated strings.

7. Mike Shank told me 2 things: he thinks Thomastik changed the formulation for Spiros after Ray Brown died and that he cut an old string and a new string apart and the windings were different.

I've been a Spiro Mittel user for a very long time and I actually like the new version. When new they sound and feel like an old one that's about 2 weeks old. They get to that really nice space a lot faster.

mark

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree. I like the new formula too. In fact I like the sound of the brand new Stark E string than one that's a year old. Quite a turnaround really.

What do you suppose Ray Brown had to do with that?

9. rzakota

rzakota

Oct 24, 2007
    Kawasaki, Japan
    So now my question is, How long does last for you? 6months? 1 year?
    Also I'm curious how long you can use Jazzer for.

Thank you!

10. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I can get a year out of mine no problem, depending on my $$ I like to go every 6 months since I like fresh strings. The difference is slight, still with the same growl but less harsh zing. I don't mind it at all.

11. From what I gathered from Mike, Thomastik didn't want to change the formula while Ray, one of their most visible users, was around. Sounds a little fishy to me but I'm just the messenger.

mark

12. I change mine every 6-9 months. I use a Dominant G with a Mittel E, A, and D. I change them when they seem to lose some of their punch and power.

mark