1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spirocore dead E string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Steve Boisen, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    After several years of using synthetic core strings (Obligato, Evah, Zyex) I decided to install a set of Spirocores (3/4 lights) on my main bass. I was looking forward to the added brightness and definition, but the initial set had a dead sounding E string. I contacted Thomastik and they replaced it with a string that sounded much better, but now three months later it's just as dead as the first one. I don't think the issue is my bass because other brands of strings didn't have this problem and the current E string was fine when I first installed it. I know some people use a medium E with this set, but I'd rather not go that route. Has anyone else had this experience with Spirocores?

- Steve

2. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Can you explain what "dead" means?

3. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Compared to the other strings there is less brightness and clarity. The sustain is still good though.

- Steve

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Is your E string significantly (disproportionally) higher than the rest of your strings?

Spiros definitely lose their "zing" after three months of daily playing, but usually one string out of a set doesn't sound darker than the rest for me.

5. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    No, the E is not significantly higher. I'm starting to think it's just my expectations vs. reality.

- Steve

6. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    can you post a video?

7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Absent a manufacturing defect...sometimes. Mistakes happen, and some strings have wildly different timbres across the set even if all is well.

8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    soundpost adjustment

bskts247 likes this.
  9. I recently installed for a while, just to try, a forgotten Spirocore 4/4 medium set that I have from 1993! It was on the first bass (used) I had bought, then took it off and installed a weich set.
    Well, I was surprised! Bright as new!!... And also significantly brighter than a new same set I bought before 4 years.
    I believe that the company something must have change between all these years.

10. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL

- Steve

11. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I can defiantly hear it. Maybe send that to Pirastro and maybe they can determine the problem.

I'd suggest cleaning it. Tune it down to Db and take a paper towel with rubbing alcohol up and down the string till there is no gunk on the towel.

12. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I know you meant to say Thomastik not Pirastro, but I actually sent back the original E string when I installed this replacement, and it was fine at first. I'll go ahead and try the detuning in cleaning. It certainly can't hurt.

- Steve

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    bskts247 likes this.
  13. Thomastik uses the same process as ever, but the material they buy to wind the strings has changed slightly. And since developing a string set is not easy (you need to work with material and sizes that you can get on the market), I think they decided not to change the manufacturing process.
    I talked once to one of the Thomastik string developers and got that info from there.

panos likes this.
  14. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    It happened to me with a mittel set. I replaced it with a new stark E and all’s been good. Not that much thicker really but a really nice sounding string.

15. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    As Mr. Codino says, I've had similar matters solved by moving the soundpost. If you don't want to get under the hood you can (before) try moving the bridge in all directions, subtly.