1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

spirocore, king of the strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by allroundbassnut, Aug 1, 2012.

1. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    thinking of getting some for my stagg edb, are they worth the money?

2. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Every penny...and some!

3. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Let's break it down:

I checked your profile- not much of anything there- you might consider filling it out- it will help people give you better advice! :)

I looked at some of your posts- seems you are interested in jazz and rockabilly.

For jazz- Spiro's are tough to beat- prolly the most popular string for this application, and since they pretty much last "forever"- they are an exceptional value- so in that case, "Yes", they are well worth their cost.

If you want to save money- you could always buy some used Spiros. They are quite "zingy" when new- some folks like that sound and change them often- other people like them more and more as they age...if you fall into the latter camp, buy used and let someone else break your strings in for you and save money at the same time!

That said, I wouldn't choose Spiro's for rockabilly- certainly not the Mittel set- but that's just me. A lighter set like the weich or the solo set (tuned to orch pitch) maybe...again, mho, ymmv.

There are other choices out there- I see in one of your posts that you were asking about gut...I've never used them on an EUB- so I cannot offer you any advice there.

Best of luck,

Joe

4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    What he said! Short and sweet! :)

5. Gut and synthetic gut are no bueno on an EUB. I tried.

I have a used set of Spiro Weichs I'm not using. I'll send you a private message.

6. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    The Spiro Solos might be good as a jazz/slap string. But if you don't do much bowing, Innovations would be the best thing.

7. Since the headstock often breaks on Stagg EUBs, you might want to use lower tension strings like downtuned spiro solos.

8. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    thanks loads everyone! learnt loads from you guys!!