1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spirocore problem

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ad9000, May 18, 2011.

1. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Just put a new set of Spirocore Mittels on my Pfretzschner bass. The A string was on the twangy side, as they sometimes are right out of the package, the D was just about right, but the G and E were extremely dead sounding (no top end liveness whatsoever) - more like what I would expect from Flexocors, just to use an example of a string I have experience with. I'm aware from previous experience that Spiros take a considerable amount of time to settle in, so the twanginess obviously doesn't bother me, but the dead strings are unusable - I can tell that even after settling in they would continue to be out of balance tonally with the other strings. I didn't change anything setup-wise or in any other way that would be affecting what I'm hearing.

Chapter 2: What's even more distressing is that I returned the G and E to Lemur (I live within striking distance) and got replacements - while the new E was what it should be, the G was even more dead than the first one. In hindsight, I should have taken my bass in there and strung it up on the spot, but I didn't.

Before I go back to Lemur I thought I'd post this and see if there are any similar experiences out there. Could this just be a bad run of strings?

2. darkocuk

darkocuk Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    Must be... Ive been using spiros for over 15 yrs now and never had new ones come dead like that. I know that it takes some time to find that bounce in the g and d at first but i always managed to get it out evntually. I find they feel the best after a week of breaking in. Its like they warm up and stretch and soften down to just a nice bounce under the fingers. Are you playing low tension/action? These strings do better with higher action usually.

3. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Nope, it's medium to high.

4. darkocuk

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    Oh well. Maybe they just dont work that well for your bass.. sure it isnt just a matter of givin it a few days?

5. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    No, I've had Spiros on before and they work great - it's just this particular G string I have an issue with.

6. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    I have had this happen before. The last packet of Spirocore Solos I bought had a very different sounding B-solo string (tuned to A). Must have had lots of damping material because the arco sound was mellow out of the packet.

Sometimes you get odd sets of string packets, some old some new, and they seem to be constructed differently.

7. This is a stab in the dark, but check your neck joint. One of my peers at school experienced something similar to what you described; a brand new D string sounded completely dead on his bass right out of the package. It turns out, his neck joint had loosed somehow while he was changing strings, and the bass wasn't resonating completely because of it.

James

8. rzakota

rzakota

Oct 24, 2007
    Kawasaki, Japan
    I had a same problem with Mittel D that I bought 1 year ago. It didn't have brightness, sustain or growl.
    The shop returned it to Thomastik, and they sent me a new D string a week later, and it was a regular spirocore!:hyper:

9. darkocuk

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    I guess i was just lucky all these years....

10. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    The neck joint appears to be ok, thankfully - I appreciate the suggestion, though.

11. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Soundpost? Just off the top of my head, the Bright A string, Dead G string thing might be a sign of it having shifted.

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Opposite of high tension: there could be too much and the strings are choking? Try lowering them?

13. call Toll Free 1-800-644 5268
    just explain your problem.
    I'd lean toward having them replace the whole set.

14. I'd like to add a question (but not distract from the OP's question). How easily can a soundpost shift while changing strings? I always change strings one at a time, but I often wonder how easily my soundpost could move while the string tension is lower. As with most everything else in this game, I imagine it varies from instrument to instrument?

15. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'd say yes, it varies on how tight the post is, how much the top compresses when under tension, etc.

16. When I installed my current set of Weichs I thought the G was dead. It turned out it wasn't and in fact it's the best Spiro G I ever had. I just didn't believe it could sound so well right out of the package... After the other strings settled down, they blended nicely with the already mellow sounding G. Very unusual but great!

17. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I was very careful while changing to avoid this - I don't think the soundpost shifted at all, as there is no difference in the sound of the bass other than what's going on with the G string.

18. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    I have recently experienced the same as you have. My new Spiro G weich does not have much if any of the growl I am used to. The other strings function great. No issues with my set up as Matt at The Bass Doctor check my rig out. How can a new G not have that Spiro magic? I'm ready to try a different G string to get that sustain and growl back. But what would work. I'm all pizz, zero arco. What about Gary at Upton's idea of an Obbligato for the G? I thought no one would believe me until I came across your post.

19. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Excellent advice.