1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spirocore Solos tuned Orch?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by HateyMcAmp, Apr 12, 2010.

1. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey everyone, a mostly roots/folk music guy here with a question:

After searching and reading through the strings section, I've decided its high time I harnessed the power of spriocores. I'm currently using old helicores and obligatos on my ply bass, which are providing enough volume but have a touch too much tension and darkness. I'm interested in spiro solos tuned down to Orch, understand them to be a little looser than the weichs but retain a lot of the "sprio-ness." I have two gigs currently that require a combination of pizz and slap playing, I busk frequently unamplified, and the bow is the bedrock of my practice regimen. I know I wouldn't be able to dig in on them like they were mitts, but I'm wondering if anyone here has feedback on detuned solos as a viable pizz string?

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I did it for a while and liked it and then one day I didn't. They sound great. Some years, several sets of strings and set-up changes later, I used weichs and liked them quite a bit. Tough to say how much difference there was in sound quality.

They both work quite well. If you're worried about trouble digging in, you might think about going to weichs first. If not, give solos a try.

Tough to say what the volume impact on your bass will be. For me, it woke my bass up, but it depends on the instrument.

3. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I love spirocore solos for pizz and plenty of people have used them for that role. They sound good arco, too. I don't feel like I have trouble digging in with them. Or rather, I have to take a slightly different "digging in" approach. It's hard to explain, but for me at least, a little practice made it clear that pulling as hard as I could was not the best way to get the most/best sound out of these strings. I think this is true of all lower tension strings.

4. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm familiar with the need to hit a lower tension string with the "right" amount of force to make them speak best, as I've found this to be the case with my Oblis.

Could anyone compare Spiro Solos to Superflxible Solos? Their reputation amongst slappers is stellar and the price is right, but I haven't heard much about them as a pizz string.

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've not used Superflexible solos, but this comparison exists in an older thread. You'll find it if you search. From what I recall, no one seemed to think that SF Solos @ orch pitch were a viable option.

Spirocores work well that way. Flexicores have a reputation of working well that way and I know someone was glowing about Dominant Solos @ orch pitch.

If you're looking for Spirocore-ness, I'd go with Spirocores. It's interesting, though that you'd want to move right past weichs. I think that they are pretty close at orch pitch to one another. Just something to consider.

6. I loved my solos, I have weichs on now, they sound better live, but solos were more inspiring to practice and play.
    I really prefer the solos, arco runs across all four strings in TP is nice! Also, practicing more = generally playing better, that was really the best thing about them.
    I am going to get them back on as soon as the weather changes (the low tension was not best for the bass this winter).
    Solos really sing with the bow and still have the growl pizz. I still think in the end the differences are subtle, and there are no miracles!

7. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks so much for all the knowledge, guys. This thread has been helpful for a DB string neophyte.

The reason I'm looking to move past weichs is the issue that I need to slap so I'm looking for something that I know are lower tension then what I have, which are Helicore Hybrid Medium and Obligatos Orch. I think the solos are the only string in the Sprio line that meets the criteria.

8. I just put mine back on. It was nice to enjoy a thicker sound, but I think the extra inspiration to practice and the overall clarity is worth it for the place I am at right now.

9. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I'm discovering that my bass likes less tension. For the last seven months I've had E.P. weichs on, and like them, but the dynamic response is kinda narrow. So I thought I'd try a 5+ year old set of Kolstein varicore solos from my box at orch pitch -- and yes, they work good. Varicore solos are a bit high tension at solo pitch.

Overall, the varicore is not a well matched set for pizz -- the G is zingy, the D and A are a bit too thumpy. I have a C-extension, so I can't speak of the varicore E string. BUT with arco, the G and D string really sing in the upper register with a great dynamic response. These characteristics are consistent at either orch or solo pitch.

Do we have a list of solo strings that do work well tuned down to orch pitch, or that do NOT work well tuned down to orch pitch? I really need a set of strings that I can use at solo pitch for my solo arco rep, and then tune down to orch pitch for weekly orch rehearsals.

- Mark