Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spirocore Weichs too bright...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by CBFinet, May 18, 2004.

1. CBFinet

CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for me. At this time, I'm a college student and I'm stdying classicially for all of my school oriented studies, but also play jazz gigs several nights a week and consider that to be a main focus of my playing. Right now I'm using Spirocore Weichs, which I have been able to get a good arco sound from, but lately I've been increasinlgy unhappy with the pizz sound. For my bass, they seem too bright especially on the G and D strings even with various sound post adjustments. My bass is an old small 3/4 german flatback and it tends to have a very focused, but bright sound. Any suggestions for a slightly darker string without sacrificing much sustain or clarity?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    How about plain ol' Spiro Orchestras?

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Many around here, including myself, swear by Obligatos. I've played Spirocore Orchestrals and Thomastik Superflexibles both pizz and arco and nothing can compare to the Obligatos. They are dark and rich... about as close to gut as I've gotten without going all the way there. Everyone who has heard the bass with those has had nothing but good things to say. I don't play classical much (at least not within earshot of anyone), but use the bow a bit on jazz gigs and am pleased with the pizz and arco sound. It sounds like these may work well for you?

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I was gonna say Obligatos, but I haven't had the pleasure of trying them yet, so I felt unqualified. Coincidentally, the guy who just bought my old bass just put 'em on, so I'm looking forward to getting a taste soon.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Obligatos are good. Not very loud and they tend to roll under the bow -- particularly the E and A strings.

I've been using Spirocore solos at orchestra tuning with good luck.

6. Kolstein Varicors (although my current preference is Pirastro Permanent, but you might find those too bright).

Vincent

7. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    If you like the general feel and sustain of the Weichs but just want a slightly darker tone, give Superflexibles a try. Like the Spirocores, they start out fairly bright, but darken considerably while still keeping good sustain. They bow easier than Spiro Weichs and significantly easier than Spiro mediums. The tension lies between Weichs and mediums, although closer to Weichs.

8. CBFinet

CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for all the suggestions you guys... please keep them coming. Right now I'm trying switching out just the G string with a spirocore orchestra guage. It's still settling down, but sounds like it may end up a bit darker than the Weich. I've played basses with Spirocore solos that felt great including my teacher's (Joel DiBartolo) but my Weichs seem a little too lose for my taste especially after having the neck reset with a shallower angle after a car crash with my bass in November. So far I like the feel of the Orchestra guage on the G- string, but I'm still wondering about a different string all together.

A few of you suggested the Obligatos and Superflexibles, so I might try one of those. I like the feel of the medium tension Spiro's on my bass, so something similar might be good, but an overall slightly darker sound is what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Chris Finet

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    In that case, you might try Thomastik Dominants. They bow great and aren't bad for pizz, although they can be on the stiff side on many basses. If your bass is too loose with lighter strings on, these might do the trick.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm using the Weich set with an Orchestra E, and I really like it. The arco is awful for a couple of weeks, so I make sure I don't have any orchestral work for that time period, install them, and wait until the brightness dies down. This is mostly for jazz work; if I were doing more classical stuff, it would be a different story. But I haven't had the problems with arco on the Weichs that some have complained of.

11. I used to be the spirocore user (both weich and orchestra).
    I found the same situation like you (my bass is 1960's 7/8 karl hofner plywood).

I started to try several sets of strings form Pirastro Jazzer, which has the same character like spirocore but darker,----(IMO, its tension is between Spiro Orchastra and weich),---- and Pirastro Original Flatchorm (A,D,G) with new Flexocor stark (E), later. Now, I am using Varicore and Obligatos, like the others.

If you like the feel of Orchastra Spiro's or something similar and slightly darker sound. Jazzer might be your choice.

Pongsak
    Bangkok, Thailand

12. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    From another former Spiro user, one thing I used to do (recommended to me by Ed Garcia in Dallas), is to rub the strings with a rosin cloth very fast up and down. This should make them hot to the touch, and speeds up the break in period.

I never thought Spiros (of the flavors I tried Weich, Orch, and Solo) were worth anything until they were a few months old.

Monte