1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spirocore + ??

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dave Reichle, May 19, 2017.

1. Dave Reichle

Dave Reichle Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Spirocores on the bottom + various "top" strings -- It's such a popular combination. I had made a sound clip for another thread (Pirastro Flat-chromesteel)

but rather than hijack that thread, I'd thought it might be useful to start a thread to discuss what top strings folks have found to mix well with Spirocores (of whatever gauge) on the bottom. Sound clips are helpful and encouraged!

Here's two:

Spirocore + Flex Deluxe:
    Spirocore + Obligatos

Both the FDs and Obligatos had been on the bass for about 5 days. I don't know how old the Spirocores on the bottom are but they are well broken in (but not old/dead).

Rec. w/ Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina mic -> Neve preamp plugin -> Logic. EQ flat, no processing.
    The bass is a 2003 carved Schnitzer/DeSola "Rogeri" w/European Ash sides/back.

Attached Files:

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Sub'd. This is right were I'm at. Spiros went back on my Shen the other day - the E and A rock and I'm finding them easier to bow. The D and G, not so much. Nice pizz but metallic with the stick.

I'd love to hear a Spiro E + A - Dom D + G combo.

Dave, I tried the FD - Spiro thing and found the FDs too dark for my bass for pizz once they broke in. Arco was superb though.

Dave Reichle likes this.
  3. I really like guts over stone-dead Spiro Weichs on a plywood bass for pizz playing.

At some point, when I get three seconds to myself, I'm going to put the rubber bridge mute on my Spiro bass and see if the extra mass calms down the scratchiness when you bow old Mittels. It would be funny if that was the answer all along.

james condino and Dave Reichle like this.
  4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    How much scratchiness is really heard out in the room? It may just all blend together into a really nice audible sound, depending on the bass and player, of course!

salcott likes this.
  5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I've tried Obligatos a couple of times on different basses. They always sound great in the living room and crap out when they leave the house. FDs are it for me-they may sound dark from behind the bass, but the sound gets out there both pizz and arco. YMMV, of course.

6. Dave Reichle

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    My experience as well. We'll see with the Obligatos. I like them at home and they somehow feel and sound different from how I remember them from 4-5 years ago.

I haven't used Spiros in years, but I've got a new bass that came with broken-in Spiro mittels(Schnitzer/Desola 2003). I haven't taken off the bottom Spiros because they sound so good. So I'm experimenting with top strings as I get to know the bass. Lots of strings out there.

7. Dave Reichle

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    But it's not fun hearing that scratchiness from the player's position. For me, it's distracting.

Having said that, bowing Spirocores on this bass I acquired recently is pretty okay (or at least a lot better under the bow than I remember Spiros being).

8. That right there. I played for other people for 25 years. Now I only play for myself.

Dave Reichle likes this.
  9. The Obligato top blends better with the Spiro bottom to my ear.
    Thanks for the exercise!

10. Jon Mush and Dave Reichle like this.
  11. Dave Reichle

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I agree.
    You're welcome.

12. Dave Reichle

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Lotta growl.
    What kind of bass are you using?
    p.s. enjoyed the music. Which school lets you play that?

13. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    that spiro/obligato mix sounds like a full set of the same strings. I guess if you kill an e and a a little bit that'll work. Can you get a recording of that setup in a band?

The Dominant G sounded great with my year old spirocores and had a little more meat. I may try the D and G in the future.

14. Dave Reichle

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I agree.
    I'll try.

p.s. I also tried your EP weichs with the Spiros for a minute, but this combo sounded too much like different strings.

bskts247 likes this.
  15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I used that combo on this--

16. Dave Reichle

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Very nice. And that's a good bass sound.

17. It's just a Shen SB180 hybrid. That bass really loves low tension strings and when I put the Innovations on, I feel my bass opened up a lot more sonically. While I do love the Innovation D and G strings, I think they would get the best results on a bass that likes low tension strings.
    I'm a student at CalArts, and every year the faculty choose some original compositions by the students to record. The trombone player wrote the tune I shared.

18. That's what I used for a while too, Innovation Braided with S42W 4/4 Spiro Weich. Nice for pizz, but different with the bow. Which brought me to the whole set of Innovation Braided with some treatment for A and E to make them more flexible.

Jon Mush likes this.
  19. Dave Reichle

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Well maybe "just a ..." but the bass sounds good.

20. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I have yet to find anything that beats Spirocoes + practice! If you are really used to them and know how to get the most out of them other strings just sound dead.

Silevesq likes this.