1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spirocore

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Mar 9, 2013.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    To you jazz guys who use Spirocores--
    Which set of Spirocores do you use? Most music I play is mostly mainstream style. I have just put on a second-hand set of Weichs and like them---just wondered what type of Spirocores you fellow jazzer's use and your style?

2. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My bass likes Spirocore Weichs best. Spiro Mittels were a bit too stiff and tended to choke my bass. However Mittels have worked well on other basses I've owned and played.

My advice is, if you like the Weichs and they're working for you, use them.

3. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Exactly as above. Spiro Weichs on my last bass and actual bass, Mittels were choking both basses. When I rented a bass in Hong Kong I took a set of Spiro Weichs and they were too lose, I had to buy a set of mittels and that worked great on that bass.

It would be interesting to have a poll with people using different spiros!

4. Please ask also for the string size (3/4 vs. 4/4), because Spirocore strings are differently made. Otherwise you might get very irritated with the answers. But even on the same string scale, one string can feel differently on different basses.
    Some players even don't know that there are different Spirocore strings for 3/4 and 4/4 available and only get one type in their area, which need not be the most characteristic type for their instrument. (BTW, the 1/2 size strings are just shorter versions of the 3/4 size string.)

5. I just put on a full set of spiro starks.

I had spiro mittels on before that. I haven't tried weichs, but judging on how I like my starks, I don't think I'll go that direction. But weichs are still great because they are easier on the hands and maintain the nice spirocore tonal qualities.

I love the full tonal presence that the starks are giving my bass. But I only advise putting starks on if you know that either your bass is "over-built" or you are taking off some of the downward tension with a raised saddle and lowered bridge height (what I've done).

For jazz, the starks are tiresome on the hands after even a little bit of playing. For arco, they are just fine.

When I got my spiro mittels, I didn't think there was a better string in existence until I put starks on.

The best thing about spirocores is that they are the most versatile string, IMO. The rumor is that they are bad for bowing. The truth is that they are unforgiving when bowed. There's a difference.

Tonally, they put out exactly what you put in. They don't mask anything. And any harshness you can't seem to get rid of in the sound isn't heard past a few meters anyway. They are perfect.

6. spiro mitts s42

they feel pretty great. in comparison to my EP regulars they were comparatively less stiff, and i had to raise the action a bit to get a satisfactory resistance. i was afraid there was actually less volume at first, but the people i play with commented they're louder. as a week or two has gone on, they've gotten even better. very clear sounding strings.

i developed a big, woofy tone with the EP that i was afraid i might lose. it's slightly different now but still sounds like me. just have to pull a little harder now due to the thinner strings and decrease in resistance.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Indeed. Many sets to choose from. But the 1/2 strings are separate strings. When you run the math, the tensions don't line up, indicated they are different strings altogether, not simply longer or shorter versions. Corrected chart at the bottom of the thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f17/all-different-spiros-sets-724598/

8. I once looked at the specs and found that the 1/2 Spiros have roughly as less tension as would be expected when using the 3/4 on the shorter scale. I didn't calculate exactly, but it seemed that this is the case. And I think I could remember from a talk with one of the Thomastik string makers, that they only make the 3/4 and 4/4 string designs and the strings for the shorter scales are only shorter 3/4 strings, but I may be wrong.