1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spirocores Vs. heliocore hybrids

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mcfrankson, Sep 24, 2010.

1. mcfrankson

mcfrankson

Jan 9, 2008
    I have spricores on my bass presently and a friend of mine gave me a new set of medium heliocore hybrids that I just have laying around. What are your perceptions of the two strings? How are they different and what's better about each? I'm looking for something a little louder and punchier than the spiros, are helios a good way to go? What are you guys' experience with these strings? Any advice helps!

2. MrSidecar

MrSidecar Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I think there are some threads on the forum that answer that question, when crossreading them...

However, here's my 2 cents (I think others have the same):

-Spiros easily outlast most other strings for many players, thus, they easily last longer than heli hybrids.

-When I played heli hybrids (or the pizz variant as well) I was put off by quality issues on just about EVERY set of them (loose windings, dead strings, buzzes, weirdities of all kinds, strings breaking after 4 days). I sticked with them way too long, who knows why.

-Some say the helis bow better. I say, spiros are GREAT bowed strings, if you train yourself to be clean in your bow technique. They are not very forgiving (others translate that to "hard to bow").

-loud is tricky. some claim velvets to be loud. or gut. for me and my perception, spiros are louder. depends on bass, setup, and playing technique, i guess. In general, I do not see a reason to prefer helicores over spirocores. Quite the opposite, I'd say.

Best

Sidecar

3. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
    As always, there is no absolute truth:
    Some weeks ago Larry Grenadier told me that now he uses Helicore (if i remember well the hybrids)
    He said that they sounded great from first day and spirocore take too long to sound right. Before he played garbos for many years but he was a little tired because he said that Garbos had too much of personality in the sound.

4. I've used both, Spiros extensively and intensively (until I switched to Velvet) either Weich to Stark, Helicores only twice (their heavier gauge model). IMHO, Spiros are superior strings by a long run. They can be quite harsh sounding on arco on some basses, but if you can 'wait for them', they worth the time. Especially good E and A strings for pizz.

Incidentally, I've recently played a nice 107cm string lenght bass strung with Solo Spiros detuned to EADG, and the were pretty good for arco work. Not as strong sounding as, say, Flexocors, but nice though, warm and easy to bow. That might be a choice to think about if you have to play both pizz and arco too often.

My 0,00002$

5. foilracer

foilracer Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    ...I say you must try them on YOUR bass....after asking about
    two different sets of strings (for whatever reasons) I only could decide between the two sets I was comparing after I had tried them both.....after purchasing the new set, & trying them...I went back to the first set because I liked them the best. The reason I liked them the best most likely was a combination of many "factors"....most of all that I made the decision for myself and cared less about what others said
    about the "string" I chose!..............good luck.

6. On my bass, Spiros are a Harley with loud pipes. Hybrids are an arthritic donkey. I have a set of Spiro Mittels that's older than my older child. They still have more volume and presence than the almost new Hybrids I just traded for a set of Evahs.

7. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Dear friend i own three fully carved basses. I have strung them with Helicores (Hybrid or Pizzicatto) and with Spiros. In each one of my basses the Spirow give the best sound in terms of volume, loudness etc. In addition the Spiros rarely show any quality issues, contrary to the Helicores and they last more.
    Stick to the Spiros and learn to bow them properly.
    My $0.02
    Mike

8. Vic Koler

Vic Koler

Sep 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I loved the Spiros for pizz (used them for 20+ years) but found them to be way too strident with the bow. It does take a long time for them to settle in. I tried Mittel, Weich and Solo tuned down. Settled on the Weichs.

I've been using the Helio Hybrids (Medium) for 10+ years now. I like them, but will admit there are quality issues from set to set. They are ready to go the minute you put them on.

If not for the bow, I'd pick the Spirocores. But I do a lot of arco work.

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    KC Strings puts Helicores on all their basses as a default. The owner told me that they very often have one string that is defective. They are able to return their duds for full credit so it works out. I do think the hybrids are a good 'hybrid' string for the money IF you are lucky enough to get an entire set of good ones.

10. Just got a free set of Helicore solos. It turns out, I like them fine enough not to blow $$ to replace them, but prefer Spiros. A low B came on my EUB, same thing. It is fine.
    They are a bit sweeter with the the bow, which is nice.

11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    And another variable: Helicores are wrapped with nickel, Spiros with steel. If you're sensitive or reactive to nickel, at best you will only have black fingertips, and at worst you will corrode them past playability.

Durability, longetivity, tone & projection; patience to settle arco: Spiros.

12. chadspivey

chadspivey

Mar 29, 2008
    Different basses are going to like different strings. I started with spirocores, but when I had my fingerboard replaced, the tone difference it made in my bass made the spirocores way too bright and metallic sounding. Hybrids were the perfect match with my new fingerboard. Now that my 5 year old bass is settling in, the spirocores aren't sounding as bright as they used to (I recently strung some up as a test) I really like the way my bass has been sounding with broken in Hybrids for the past 6 months. Unfortunately, it's now time to change the strings and I'm also torn between these two now.

All this to say, you won't know unless you try both yourself. Maybe try to get a set on here of some used spirocores.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021