Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spiros and Oblios and Heritages Oh MY!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Jul 16, 2005.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    So I really have decided that I need new strings before I go off to college (Eastman) where I will be playing in the Orchestra and plenty of jazz groups and I would like some help. I'll give some background string experience:

I bought the bass about a year ago and it had spiro weichs on it. Pizz sound was very good but the more I played with the bow and in Orchestra I couldn't handle the arco tone. After that I switched to the Daddario Hybrids (I'm 99% confident that's the right name) and while I like these better, I find that the compromise has left me unhappier with the pizz tone and I don't find the arco sound that much better.

I have had a set of Obligatos on another bass and I thought they were alright but I found them to be a little lacking in something when I played with more people than myself. And I have put the G string onto the new bass to see if I liked it and I didn't

So, I have been looking in the Kolstein Heritage strings and found them very interesting. Does this sound like a good experimental step? Should I only buy one or two to test them out first?

I like the tension in the weichs and the hybrids (lights) and wouldn't mind a little less or a little more (not too much change). I found the Obligatos to be a little too light in tension for me.

As far as what tone I like in jazz playing, I really enjoy Dave Holland, Ron Carter (like on Miles Smiles when it was recorded with a mic), Scott LaFaro, **Ray Brown**, **Drew Gress** (if you haven't heard of him you should check him out), etc. I think they all get a warm sound with a fair amount of sustain and very good acoustic tone.

Sorry about the long post thanks for any help you can give.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi.
    I didn't try the Heritages, but one thing is sure: finding a string that performs very well for BOTH arco and pizz is not easy!
    Furthermore the string has to work well for your instrument, have the right amount of tension for your taste, etc.
    My point of vue is that you need to compromise some of your wishes.

You may want to try a bright orchestral string, like Pirastro Permanent or Pirastro FlatChromesteel (the new one, not the Original Flatchrome).

Good luck in your quest!
    :)

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    for what it's worth, i have used heritage strings for almost a year now after switching from obligatos. i am primarily playing pizz in jazz groups, but spend a good amount of time on arco as well (german bow). the heritage strings are the best i've found for my purposes. i go for a gut-like thump, with modest sustain and fundamental. these strings really do it for me, and they bow very easily. it's easy to get a wide variation in dynamics. i play with a high string height, and these strings still feel very soft and responsive under the fingers... nothing like the spirocores i used several years back. i vote thumbs-up for the kolstein's... plus, barrie is the nicest guy when it comes to answering questions and dealing with the occasional "bumps in the road" when it comes to developing a string as he has done.

4. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Thank you guys for your responses. I am pretty sure I have decided to buy a single Heritage string and then decide from there. I'm thinking of buying a D string and then seeing if I like it and then buying the rest of the set if I do.

While I have someone who has used the strings, how long is the string life? Glad to hear positive things about the strings.

Thanks again.

5. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I just bought the Heritage G string and have decided to buy the whole set. Unfortunately, Lemur has sold out of them and I will need to wait until monday to get the rest. I'll try to post comments after a few days with the whole set for anyone interested or for the benefit of someone who tries to search later.

6. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    well, i like the sound of the strings after they have settled in for a few months... in this case, they have been on for 8 months. they sound more mellow (obviously) and more woody, instead of being the least bit zingy. arco is very smooth... like a good single barrel bourbon. i guess though, to answer your question, the life expectancy i anticipate is well over a year, perhaps more. then again, i don't play 3 sets 5 or 6 nights out of the week. they seem to be quite durable though.