1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spiros vs. Superflexible

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bribass, Dec 8, 2006.

1. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I'm a long time Siro Weich and Mittel user and I've always prefered their power and fast response. I make my living playing mostly Piz, but plenty Arco as well. Recently I put on a Superflexible G and I'm liking it alot w/ the Spiro Mittlel D,A and E. The SP G seems a bit easier to bow, has a nice less pingy piz tone and has an enjoyable softer feel to it. It also has a beautiful open G sound that somehow seems purer than a Spiro and is still bright enough for my very dark sounding bass. I'm considering putting on SF D,A and dare I go w/ the E as well? Anybody know if the SF E has comparable oompf to a Spiro Mittel E?

BG

2. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Hi bribass,

i just recently changed the complete set from spiro weichs to superflexibles. Although they have not really settled yet, i am satisfied. The first good thing i noticed (as you said) the G-String is way less "twangy".

When i compare, the superflexibles are a bit stiffer and produce less fingerboard-buzz. I found the D-String a bit too thick, has almost the A-String diameter ....

Ok - and this may be a different story for you because i'm playing a Clevinger EUB ... but you may get the idea.

Tom

3. I used to use the full set of these, and liked them a lot for steel strings. If you like the superflexible G, the D and A should be more of the same: Bowable, nice pizz tone, and, well, flexible. The E is kind of subjective -- the spiro mittel E has this hit-you-in-the-gut kind of punch that a superflexible might not have. However, it's very even with the rest of the set, it's bowable, and IMHO is a good sounding E string. I think it would be more punchy than a spiro weich E, though.

At times I've used superflexible G and D with Spiro Mittel A and E and been very happy with that combo. That was less suited for arco than the full SF set.

Another great thing about the SF's is they're CHEAP! A full set is less than $100, I think. And they tend to last as long as Spiro Mittel's (forever, for some).

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    A few months ago I tried out an old Italian Bass and the 'E' had this blue color winding thread at the Tailpiece. I asked what it was and he said Superflexible. I was quite impressed with the sound of the 'E' but the Bass was a monster Storioni-ish guitar shaped Italian Bass at least 200 years old. Then I sat down as my friend played the Bass and looked at the 'E'. 'Hey wait a minute' I thought to myself. 'That string looks by the Ball and Silk like the old Thomastic Rope Core'.

Recently I got a set (used) to try out when I gave away some Gut samples and got them as a return favor. I have not yet tried them BUT when I looked at the package it said Superflexible - Rope Core (under it).

Are these the old (1960s-1970s) lower cost Thomastic Rope Cores 're-formulated' and re-named 'Superflexible'? Please, if someone knows how these came about, I'm all ears...

5. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    like others have said, i also think you'll find plenty to like in the full SF set, if you want a almost Spiro sound, but a little less purr... the E is great, but if you wanna wring every last bit of power out of your bass, you might miss the Spiro down there, but it's not a huge difference to my ear...

funny thing, i could never figure out if the Superflexibles were "super flexible", last time i had a SuperFlexible G on, it felt distinctly less flexible than the Spiro medium i had on before it... a check of one of the tension charts on TB/DB confirmed, the Superflexible is a higher tension string... on a different bass a year ago, i had thought the opposite... one of those proverbial things that make you go hmmmm....???

6. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Well you know each bass is different. On my old Prescott the SF G does not feel any stiffer than a Spiro mittel, G softer under the fingers actually. And I'm not missing any power or brightness so far.

Ken, I'm not sure about the Rope Core name thing. Now you got me thinking about what this G actually is. It does have the light blue ends like my student's SF's. I bought the set years and years ago (late 80's maybe) and I had forgotten that I had them. I remember them being called Rope Cores by another bassist Roy Cumming, back then. Ofcourse now I no longer have the package and I cannot find the A and E. They must be the same string w/ just an updated name.
    I think I remember not liking them as much on my German bass back then, thinking they were stiffer and less resonant. But, that was a long time ago. What did I know in my early 20's.

Thanks for everyone's quick comments. I think I'll put on the D as well and see how they mix w/ Spiro mittel A and E.

Bri

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I just put a gently used set on my NS EUB. I like the E a lot. It replaced a spiro weich in good shape. I prefer it. It is a little stiffer in feel and has a little darker, tubbier sound.

They are really big strings. I like that. They are much thicker than the FCS that I had on there.

I do think it's funny that they are are called superfleibles, as they are stiffer than most any string I have played, except flexocore and dominant.

8. I thought they were called superflexibles because they were good for pizz AND arco.

9. My guess is that they were much more flexible than their "Precision" brand strings (their first bass string), which are solid steel core, thus that name for their second bass string.

10. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Yes, I believe these are the same strings.

- Steve

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Are these the 'exact' same strings in a new package with 'Superflexible' as a catcy name OR newly formulated (but from when?) Ropecore strings NOW deserving a new name, Superflexible?

I don't remember the Ropecore as being a good string. The E I played was smooth, deep and sweet.. or was that maybe 'just' the Bass it was on?

12. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Well, that's the I'm feelin' about the SF G anyway.

BG

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    On my bass they were somewhere between Spiros and Permanents, I never liked the SF E, I swopped it for a perm E after two weeks, I liked the rest of the set at the time but after about a year I got sick of them. I had Correlli TX on my bass for a while and end up trying the SF E again in hopes of more volume on the E, Pizz was OK but going from Correlli back to SF arco wasn't sounding very good at all, all it did was remind me of why I took the string off in the first place. My bass is on the bright side and is a ply. I've been slowly moving to darker and darker strings the last few years: Spiro meds > Super flexible > Super flexible with a Permanent E > Permanent E&A with Correlli TX D&G > Correlli TX full set > Jargar Forte. Each time I've liked the sound I've got better than the last. So to me it sounds like it was the bass or the string is REALLY OLD or both.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I was checking these out on a web store, and the package pictured does say "Rope Core Medium".

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    The strings you mention are not realy dark strings. For dark, try Flexocor 92s, Orig Flex, Orig Flat Chromes.. 92s are the darkest but they all get darker when aged. Perm A/E with Flex G/G is also an option but the pern G/D is bright while the lowers string darken with age.

Also, you say the Corellis bowed better than the SFs? Which had a darker sound and how do Perms and Jaegar Fs fit in that mix on your Bass?

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I'd say Corelli then Perms then Jaegar Fs. Perms are nice strings but I think you really have to have a very responsive bass; I've played them on a new E wilfer carved and they sounded and responded almost the same as they did on my bass. Jaegar Fs are the darkest strings I've had on my bass, they bow the best for so far and give me a nice sound. Corelli TXs are what Rabbath uses and I had a hard time not sounding Cello-y when playing up high plus the sustain in pizz is like a a BG. It's hard to say what you milage wound be on the SF or Corellis though compare to mine, our basses are as different as night and day and most likely our playing as well.

17. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Hey guys, congrats. I love Superflexables (Rope core, blue silk ends blah blah blah) and have been using them for years on my old Italian.
    As an added bonus, you can buy about 3 sets for what one set of your revered "OLIVES" cost.
    Have a good Sunday.

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Can we see some pics of your old Italian bass? Please?

19. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    I have yet to try a full set of SF's, but I did add the D and made it a SF GD and Spiro Mit AE combo set on my dark sounding Prescott. Although I love the SF G I was not as enthused about the SF D. I liked it OK for piz and arco, but it seemed too thick. I don't know the measurements of string diameters or anything, it just felt thicker than a Spiro M D. It didn't mix as well as i had hoped w/ Spiro A & E.

I've gone back to just G w/ (new) Spiro Mittel D, A and E. A better match size wise and for right now atleast I'm really enjoying this combo. SF G is pleasingly bowable for the "singing string" w/a bit less piz ping/zing. But I still get to retain the robust piz power and quickness of the other 3 Spiros M's. I was never one to complain too much of their arco "scratchiness" anyway. They can be very expressive strings w/ the bow in fact.