1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spitfire pickguard on Fender CS Sean Hurley pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdudestevo, May 14, 2019.

1. Original

53 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Spitfire

81 vote(s)
    60.4%
  1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    When I had Mark make my J pg, I sent him clear/sharp-focus pics of a vintage J pg as a starting point of what I was after. Once he saw the pics he was able to fit it within one of his categories and I was, and still am very pleased with the one sent.

For anyone who isn't clear, they are hand painted so regardless of any example sent as reference - each and every one will be different/unique and is a skilled-eye interpretation of whichever example of tort is wanted. For some, buying something that you will have to trust the result will be acceptable is an issue. If that is you, you probably should be happy with what's commonly out there.

2. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I like that one, I like Red tort, but not Brown tort. The tort in the OP posting has too much yellow for me.

JIO likes this.
  3. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Some options will look best on certain colors, that's a fact. Another selection opportunity is to send Mark a clear/good focus picture of the bass you want the pg on. He has a good eye and can help pick one of the many styles offered that will work best on it.

Laklandfan likes this.
  4. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    I voted spitfire because I’ve owned one before and in person there’s absolutely no comparison to Fenders current stuff. Both the guard and the bass will continue to look better with time.

JIO likes this.
  5. I say Spitfire, even though the colour might not be exactly what I'd want on my oly white P, it's so... deep. It looks vibrant, alive. I prefer the colour of the top pic, but it isn't in the same league quality-wise

I'd love a Spitfire guard, but I'd need a custom template done which would cost me, and it'd be preposterous to have a pickguard that'd cost more than my entire bass! Maybe one day.

6. Jon Muir

Jon Muir

Jun 13, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    How do you like the Sean Hurley? He’s a session god and I love his sound, curious on the sound and feel of the bass.

7. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Original

Double E likes this.
  8. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I guarantee that is not "real tortoiseshell"... it's just as fake as the Fender tortoiseshell. Whether one is more desirable than the other is merely attributable to one's own preference, and pocketbook.

petrus61 likes this.
  9. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Like them both equally actually - depends on your personality.
    If you're a "hide me in the shadows and let me do my job" kind of guy, stick with the original.

If you're a "front man, hey look at me, look at me!" kind of guy than the spitfire for sure.

10. I like the spitfire better IMO, but you gotta ask yourself if you like it versus letting a bunch of guys on the interwebs decide.

JIO likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Oil that board a couple times...problem solved.

12. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I'll tell you what the mint pickguards are about the best I've seen. His tort is unbelievable. For those that think that one is to bright he offers many options.

13. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    Sorry, my opinion is that instead of those two white PG looks most original.

14. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Interesting. If spitfire isn’t real tortoiseshell, where is the real tortoiseshell other than on vintage instruments?

Where/how is the tortoiseshell that was used on vintage instruments made?

15. They never used “genuine” tortoiseshell during Leo’s lifetime for pickguards. They did offer real t.s. Picks at one time back in the 50’s though. The vintage guards that everyone loves were made from celluloid, which is a volatile form of plastic not appealing to modern manufacturers. I don’t fully understand the process ie why they can’t have the top layer of modern tort look anything like the celluloid of old?.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Real tortoise shell is illegal!

17. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Door # 2... big improvement.

18. bassdudestevo

bassdudestevo Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    I’ve played and owned most modern pbasses and I can honestly say this is THE best pbass available (outside of vintage). It even beats the Pino sig IMHO, although that is a phenomenal bass. Can’t go wrong with either but there are many differences between the two. Mine has a nice chunky neck, super woody tone, perfectly balanced yet loud pickups, and just enough relic’ing to the whole thing to make it feel old but new (closet classic). It is my go to flatwound bass just like my Moollon Classic IV pbass is my go to round Wound bass. But if I had to chose one (which might happen here in the near future) I would stick with the Sean Hurley. It is everything a pbass should be.

muggsy and Jon Muir like this.
  19. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    With today’s relicing techniques et al., I still don’t see why they can’t replicate the look of the vintage (faux) tortoiseshell better.

I mean — the Hurley bass is around $5.5K, right? Why? It’s not Brazilian RW. It’s just another 60’s Precision copy. (Albeit a beautiful copy!) At least get the (faux) tort right. And please — the mute is very cool, but that shouldn’t make the bass over five grand.

bassdudestevo likes this.
  20. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    exactly