1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spitfire pickguard on Fender CS Sean Hurley pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdudestevo, May 14, 2019.

1. Original

53 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Spitfire

81 vote(s)
    60.4%
  1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I was in my local SF vintage guitar shop earlier today (Real Guitars) and played a '63 J, which played very nice and sounded great by the way.., but it had its original "vintage" tort pg. Frankly speaking as one who owns a Spitfire (post #16) - the original looked flat & bland comparatively. The difference between a real vintage tort and what Mark offers is depth/richness/vibrancy. That can, but doesn't necessarily mean it is more "out front" visually - it's the difference between intent and realization. The intent is to re-create a vintage tort pg, but the realization creating it far surpasses the intent in visual quality. So in a nutshell, it captures the vibe of a vintage Fender tort, but stands alone on its own as a superior quality product.

Admiral Akbar and bassdudestevo like this.
  2. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    By that logic, there are a hell of a lot of expensive basses that are "just another [P or J] copy." Fender Custom Shop, Sadowsky, Lakland, Alleva Coppolo, etc. The level of craftsmanship on these basses justifies a premium price, though obviously not for everyone. And I just got a Hurley last week, it's phenomenal. Feels and plays like a vintage P, with a much less-than-vintage price tag. It doesn't cost five grand because of the mute.

bassdudestevo likes this.
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    New Sadowsky NYC Vintage4 Trans Red Electric Bass Guitar From Japan | eBay

point being - same level of craftsmanship (related to original topic)

4. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    OP—
    I’m not out to judge your purchase, but please accept my congratulations on purchasing a premium instrument!

I’ve owned and gigged Fender Custom Shop P’s, MIJ P’s, Roadworn, and all the way to “real deal” vintage 1962 and 1959 precisions. At the end of the day, if it’s a great instrument, it’s a great instrument irregardless of where and under how much care it was made. I’ve played roadworns that have sounded as good and played as well as Custom Shop and even vintage. And by that token, I’ve played high end Custom Shops and vintage that were nothing more than lifeless planks.

A Precision is a Precision, no matter how much it cost, and no matter who makes it. What does matter is who is actually playing it.

Now go play the hell out of your new bass, whichever pickguard you choose.

okabass, bassdudestevo and JIO like this.
  5. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks, Admiral. Actually, I'm not the OP, just another Hurley owner who chimed in. But you are absolutely right, the name on the headstock doesn't guarantee anything, good or bad. And a great player can make anything sound good. I'm not a great player, far from it, but I can appreciate a kick-ass instrument, and the Hurley is definitely that. I actually like the Fender tort that came with mine (see pic in my first post above). It's kind of in between the original and the Spitfire that the OP has.

bassdudestevo and Admiral Akbar like this.
  6. bassdudestevo

bassdudestevo Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Pickguard swap? :cool:

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If the goal is to achieve an actual vintage look, I’d personally shy away from this particular SF guard and stick to the original. While there are some amazing examples of SF guards out there such as JIO’s Jazz guard that cop the vintage look to a tee, some are aesthetically questionable to say the least, IMO. That’s not to take away from the workmanship, nor does it ignore the very specific disclaimers posted to SF’s site that state that each piece is as much an artistic statement as it is a “replica”. Kind of a crap shoot for that kind of coin IMO, but to each their own.

For every amazing example I’ve seen, I’ve seen three more that were a fair bit over the top or a bit too splotchy for my tastes. Conversely, I’ve had about the same ratio when it comes to Fender’s own celluloid guards that were too bland for my tastes, so there’s that. It’s my opinion that if SF could manage to capture the random swirling of Fender’s celluloid, except with the color formula SF has managed to nail, there would be no argument.

Ultimately, it comes down to being willing to accept someone else’s creative choice and workmanship for a lot of money, or something that might be a little more boring, yet very predictable for substantially less. There is no wrong.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    wraub, Double E and bassdudestevo like this.
  8. 5160B66D-B105-48D6-8D78-317D0C97A4DA.
    The originals are darker (this is my 66). I like them both on yours.

9. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Spitfire has a depth to them , you can see into them . it's pretty cool to see in person . The camera doesn't really capture that but the cheap vinyl printed stuff does not have that depth at all . Looks good from a few feet away but these are not just for the viewer to appreciate . I put a SF on my Wilkins , what do you think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bassdudestevo and sears like this.
  10. bassdudestevo

Oct 15, 2005
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    I feel like that is the look I was going for. It’s perfect!

fretno and Ronzo like this.
  11. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Starting right around 1966, the tort got noticeably darker like yours, and stayed that way thru the early ‘70s. The pre-CBS tort was lighter than that though (and more generally reddish than burgundy, more like a pepperoni color) and it typically had a lot more yellow in it than the later ‘60s/70s tort... although there was still a lot of variance. Here’s some good examples of pre-CBS tort that I’ve had pass through my hands...

1961:
    FD3C7F7E-77D3-465F-A0CB-6EEFCBCC1286.

1964:
    B47BDE8A-4B7E-4F79-A1EE-9A7F394F27DF.

12. bassdudestevo

Oct 15, 2005
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    That is fascinating! Thanks for sharing. And please tell me you still have that 61 pbass. My lawd...

13. Aside from the pickguard (both are really nice to me, but the yellow in the Spitfire seems to me to suit a sunburst better than the Oly White), I’m impressed by the Fender Mute. Is that available as an accessory?

14. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Sadly, the one on the Hurley is not. I even saw a thread on another site where someone wanted to add the mute to a Custom Shop build that wasn't a Hurley, and Fender wouldn't do it. But I believe it's just a variant of the Jaguar mute, which can be purchased separately. Do a search for Fender Jaguar mute kit and you'll see them on Reverb and elsewhere.

15. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Unfortunately I did not have the 61 anymore. It's one of the lines I miss the most too.

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    It depends on if you like your bass or love your bass.