SPL levels on-stage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by porcineaviator, Apr 4, 2005.

1. porcineaviator

Mar 18, 2005
    Is 110db of bass comfortably enough for the average pub gig?
  2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    That should be loud enough if you can achieve it without T.O.F. :eyebrow:
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Everytime I read the acronym TOF it makes me giggle a bit :D
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I play pubs all the time and I threw a dB mater on stage recently. It was hovering around the 118-120dB mark all night and this is one of the quietest bands I've been in. It's a rock covers band and I was pushing 280W a 4x10, hardly a big rig.

So I'd say 110dB isn't enough for a typical pub gig.
  5. porcineaviator

Mar 18, 2005
    T.O.F? Please enlighten a dummy!
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Threshold of Farting! We're very scientific here at TB :)
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    darn, i gotta go buy me a dB meter.................

boy do i love earplugs!!

i dont think there's a hard and fast rule as far as dB levels for a particular type of venue. To me, the performance is uch more enjoyable for all if it isn't too loud, just not so quiet that it lacks any kind of "life", but that is very deopendent upon the style of music and the skill of the musicians.

it's also hard to say what the stage volume should be as rooms are so different. some rooms just eat up sound, and while the stage volume is blasting, 50' back you can hear quiet conversation. other rooms are just stupid loud no matter how quiet you play.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not. If the bass is reading 110dB by itself, by the time you add the levels for drums, guitars, wedges, etc., you'd likely be at or above 120dB for the overall level, no?
  9. porcineaviator

Mar 18, 2005
    Well, I wrecked my ears back in the early 70s, so I'm not up for ANYTHING loud at this stage! Besides, if you keep the level deliberately down, people tend to use more light and shade which I seem to prefer to the thrash these days!

I'll be driving 125 watt speakers with 100 watts each at a maximum of 80% xmax and two of these gets me 111db (sayeth WinISD). Well, I'll try it. Hopefully without getting to the T.O.F. Or even I.F.Z.? Thanks, David
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I most definitely agree with IvanMike that a band playing at an adequate volume for the room and fitting the genre of music is much favorable to one that is painfully loud, simply because they can be.

I'm fortunate to play in a band with some very reasonable individuals. The first thing we do is sound check the stage volume and keep everything as balanced and even as possible. Obviously using the drummer as the point to balance everything to, since he has the least fundamental volume control (without changing his playing style that is). At that point the stage volume is "comfortable", which to me is ideal. After that we'll sound check our PA sound.

Unless there's no PA there's no reason for ear drum shattering stage volume levels.
  11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I know about T.O.F., but what is I.F.Z.. Is that related to the F.R. (Fartage Ratio)?? :eyebrow:
  12. porcineaviator

Mar 18, 2005
    Completely off the subject, but you may like this.

There was a young fellow named Carter
    A truly MAGNIFICENT farter.
    On the strength on one bean
    He'd fart "God Save the Queen"
    AND Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata."
  13. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    I'm with you, David - our guitar player cranks his all the way to 11 -- good thing it's a Tweed Champ!

Interestingly, I practice really loud at home, but find I need about 1/3 my gear when we gig.
  14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
  15. Which reminds me…

There was a young fellow from Sparta
    A really magnificent farter,
    On the strength of one bean
    He'd fart "God Save The Queen"
    And Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata"

He could vary, with proper persuasion,
    His fart to suit any occasion.
    He could fart like a flute,
    Like a lark, like a lute,
    This highly fartistic Caucasian

This sparkling young farter from Sparta,
    His fart for no money would barter.
    He could roar from his rear
    Any scene from Shakespeare,
    Or Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado

He'd fart a gavotte for a starter,
    And fizzle a fine serenata
    He could play on his anus
    The Coriolanus:
    Oof, boom, er-tum, tottle, yum tah-dah!

He was great in the Christmas Cantata,
    He could double-stop fart the Toccata,
    He'd boom from his ass
    Bach's b-minor Mass,
    And in counterpoint, La Traviata.

Spured on by a very high wager
    With an envious German named Bager,
    He proceeded to fart
    The complete oboe part
    Of a Haydn Octet in B-major

His repertoire ranged from classics to jazz,
    He achieved new effects with bubbles of gas.
    With a good dose of salts
    He could whistle a waltz
    Or swing it in razzamatazz.

His basso profundo with timbre so rare
    He rendered quite often with power to spare.
    But his great work of art,
    His fortissimo fart,
    He saved for the Marche Militaire.

One day he was dared to perfom
    The William Tell Overture Storm,
    But naught could dishearten
    Our spirited Spartan,
    For his fart was in wonderful form.

It went off in capital style,
    And he farted it through with a smile,
    Then feeling quite jolly,
    He tried the finale,
    Blowing double-stopped farts all the while.

The selection was tough, I admit,
    But it did not dismay him one bit,
    Then, with ass thrown aloft
    He suddenly coughed...
    And collapsed in a shower of ****.

His bunghole was blown back to Sparta,
    Where they buried the rest of our farter,
    With a gravestone of turds
    Inscribed with the words:
    "To the Fine Art of Farting, A Martyr."

- Wil
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Recomended listening - "Mick the Master Farter" by "Kevin Bloody Wilson". actually practically any of his tunes will get you laughing.

And I agree with Silky and others. Soundguys love mixing my band because we're not overpowering the PA and plastering the crowd up against the back wall. The 80's are over people.

But MaxSPL of 111dB? I still think you'd have to be in a jazz combo or playing some pretty mellow material to get away with it. I also don't like pushing my speakers too hard. I'd rather take something capable of 120dB and run it within it's limits, than bring something capable of 111dB and wringing it's neck. Speakers need some spare suspension travel to be able to produce the light and shade you were talking about IMO. Running them close to X-max all night takes away your ability to momentarily go hard.
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I also enjoy playing when everything isn't turned up so loud - but the drummer I play with uses an ultra loud set of DW's and has a kick foot made of lead. One of the local clubs here places the drummer behind plexiglass, which really makes things nicer for me. I offered to buy one for all of our gigs, but he flat out refused the offer :eek: .

I highly recommend custom molded Westone Ear Filters - I'd be deaf without them. :cool:

- Art
  18. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Here in Canberra ( The nations capital & all that poop ) most rooms have a 110db limit TOTAL FOR THE WHOLE BAND!!!

We try to hover around 105db to give us somewhere to go but the bar staff always have a DB meter sitting on the back bar which they check pretty much constantly.

We get Orange carded if it hits 110, Red carded if it goes over. They start pulling the power & shutting down the whole night after that.
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How far away from the band is the bar? If it's far enough away 110dB at the bar could equate to 120dB on stage maybe? SPL drops off with distance. There's a formula for it but I can't remember what it is right now..........