1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Splatty, farty fuzz recommendations, please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AaronVonRock, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I need a splat fuzz sound for a new band. I currently have a DOD Carcosa which can get into that territory. Zvex Mastotron seems like an obvious choice. Any others I should consider? Looking for the sound at the 0:34 mark in the video.

2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Red Witch Zeus, has an octaver too.

Pump Labs Fuzz Against the Machine

Systolic, AaronVonRock and jazznrick like this.
  3. Shoe Pixel

You can have Codtone make you a Chunk Brown Dog replica.

JimboP, Nunovsky and AaronVonRock like this.
  4. Way Huge Conquistador might get you there.

Low Down Brown and AaronVonRock like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    According to internets memes, Taco Bell....

6. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I don't need the octave option since I play a lot of open E, but the Red Witch Zeus is a nasty sounding fuzz. I like it.

7. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Mastotron was exactly what I was thinking. Darkglass Duality was my go to for awhile and they're getting pretty cheap now too when you buy used

8. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Malekko Diabolik will get you there too...

The Hiero BEAD will too - I've got one of these, and I like it for the clean blend and versatility. It definitely gets you into that Diabolik/Bassmaster splatty fuzz territory.

9. +1 to Zeus, (octave be damned, or not).

Always wanted to try the Shoe Pixel.
    I always thought of the Brown Dog as a synthy fuzz, but not splattery — if it can do both... fantastique!

Another splatter-fest is Dwarfcraft's The Great Destroyer.

Parasit has many offerings, but the Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz comes immediately to mind, or any other PLL-chip based fuzz such as the Broughton PLL...
    Everything PLL (Shumann, Broughton, Dimehead, ELTA, etc)

10. Come to think of it, Fuzz Factory can go splatty with the stability or "stab" control ... add a voltage starve to just about any fuzz pedal will get it splatty.

I tried a Fuzzolo and it did splat it did.

Hmmm Clusterfuzz has an "8-Bit" knob that might get you there. It doesn't limit the power draw as other pedals (such as Zvex "Stab" and Dwarfcraft's "Starve" do), rather it limits the signal itself being passed on from the front end of the circuit to the back end... interesting.

Alien8 and MattZilla like this.
  11. Might not be comparable with some newer pedals (pretty ignorant here), but I had a friend let me borrow a Zoom UF-01 this week; I'm in love.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  12. Alban

Alban

Apr 8, 2004
    The Netherlands
    If you are really serious about fuzzes, you should check out the Dwarfcraft Silver Rose v2, the only fuzz pedal you’ll ever need.

13. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Uhm. The pedal in this video seems to get the sound you want? At the 34 second mark

Nunovsky and Andre678 like this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The great destroyer might work, as might the unpleasant surprise as might pixel as might others.
    Tgd is the first I thought of though.

15. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Fuzz factory moreso than mastotron.

16. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Old blood noise alpha haunt.

Also, I can easily get a fart sound with a fuzz face, and turning the internal dipswitch all the way .

17. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I can't hear the video at the moment, but I'll second the Diabolik recommendation. It's "splatty" and surprisingly versatile, and I guess it can be somewhat "farty" with the fuzz knob high and the squish knob low (more of a gated feel at this setting).
    To my ears, the most accurate video demo is the second one posted by Grahams Groove.

Edit: I can now see you posted a video of the Mastotron. Maybe also check-out the Earthquaker Devices Terminal. There are a few good bass demos. One I think is on the Earthquaker yt channel, the other is part of a few videos titled "Bass Dirt on Parade". More of a one trick pony, this one.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  18. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Splatty, Farty, Fuzz.....If I were a pedal builder I'd develop one called "The Sharter".

19. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    This came to mind too, probably a FF7 is best for bass?

20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I've been looking for quite a while for an overdrive that isn't splatty and farty. From the number of pedals I've tried and not bought (or returned) because they were splatty and farty, I'd guess you have a really good chance at getting what you want.