Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

split band compressor to balance aggressive pop against normal slap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I've been catching up on the old compressor threads, but haven't seen this addressed directly. I like a really aggressive pop -- more like a Bartok 4th qt snap pizzicato, than the more polite pop that I hear on a lot of instructional books/cds. Somebody mentioned using a split band compressor for other purposes, but this seems like a natural application, as even with low action the snap pizz is likely to overwhelm the slap, and given the nominal split between E/A string slap, and D/G pop, having two settings would seem to make sense. Anybody use a compressor this way? Any favorite split band compressors that aren't too pricey?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i also ahve to ask, why the super aggressive finger popping? is it that necessary for your "sound"?

anywho, why not go the low tech way?

have it re-setup with the action higher for more resonance and attack with your thumb snaps, so it forces your thumb to act as aggressively as your finger pops. then i s'pose you can buy an all around compressor to even it out.

but another thought would be to get lighter strings, so it'll be easier for your thumb to attack the strings as hard as you do your finger pops.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Do search for Rane DC-24. A few people here use them, and I know a few pro sound guys that swear they are the perfect thing for bass guitar.

Link to Rane website - DC-24

Also, Trace Elliott used to make a foot pedal version of their split band compressor that they had in their higher end amps.

You can still buy the Rane new, but I've seen both of these on e-bay from time to time.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use the DC-24 for similar reasons: a "ping" doesn't kill my lows, and heavy thumb-slappin' or fingerfunkin' doesn't kill my highs.

A really nice feature is that the ratio control is logarithmic: lots of room to maneuver between 1:1 (no compression) and 2:1 (gentle compression). I usually keep mine set around 1.6:1, which gives the control I need with transparency. YMMV!