1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

split coil orientation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cheechi, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. The split coil P pickup. The original design has the low strings' pickups closer to the neck and the high strings coil closer to the bridge.

My one current split coil is a PJ set up this way.

Nearly every bass I have looked at recently the split coil is on backwards. I guess there's 3 ways it could be backwards couldn't it. EA coil is closer to the bridge than the DG one. Is this a more modern setup? Is there anything to do with the recent years 'lawsuit basses' or is it just a thing that's going on recently? Every product description and review I have looked at doesn't really address why orient it one way or the other. I figure there has to be a reason, it's just not obvious to me. School me?

2. Many people feel that you get a more balanced response with a reverse P configuration, but tradition usually prevails in the market.

mech likes this.
  3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    The theory is that it tightens the lows of the E and A by moving their side of the pickup closer to the bridge while smoothing the highs of the D and G by moving their pickup away from the bridge. To really know the net effect you'd have to compare the same bass in both orientations. The effect is subtle and it will still sound like a P as long as any reasonable P-like pickup and wiring is used.