1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPLIT COIL PICKUP WITH THE MOST POWERFUL LOWS FOR P-BASS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Utroba24, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Utroba24

Utroba24

May 2, 2016
    Split, Croatia
    Hi guys, I would appreciate your help if you could recommend me any "great" quality split coil pickups for my Fender Standard (Mexican) Precision Bass. And the most important characteristic (like I said up there in the title) - split coil with THE MOST POWERFUL LOWS !! Thank you ;)

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Of those I've tried, the G&L MFD split-coil has the most powerful lows, and it isn't too boomy either:

Pickup - SB-2 / SB1 MFD

Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pounder is known for heavy lows too. I like it, but I've only tried it in shops, never in one of my own basses.

Utroba24 likes this.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    powerful lows are more about the amp.

low end is all about amp watts and cab size and such. the pickup can't make a rig have more low end than it has, just like you can't make your car have more horsepower by pressing harder on the gas pedal.

that said, the duncan QP is indeed a big and ballsy pickup with lots of everything including lows.

for "ridiculous" there's the dimarzio split P, which is two humbuckers put together; in normal series wiring it's beefy to the point of being too much. wired in parallel however it gets a nice almost soapbar humbucker kind of tone.

in the realm of classic P pickups the fralin stock wind P is wonderful, it has more highs and lows than typical without being overwound or anything. i love mine, especially with 500k pots for more attack and grind.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Badwater and Utroba24 like this.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    ^^^I agree with walterw about the Fralin stock wind. It's a phenomenal pickup, with lots of punch and clarity, and a totally vintage vibe. I like it just as much as the G&L MFD. Like a bonehead, I sold my Fender P with the Fralin, and I miss having a bass with that tone.

5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I agree with "Walterw" the lowend power comes from the amp. If you have the opportunity, take your bass to the local music store and try out a variety of amps to see if your pickup has the lows you seek. A well designed cabinet can make a huge difference in the low end.

6. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Seymoure Duncan Royale with Cheese SPB-3 pickups are what you want.

Some complain of the mid scoop, but it's all relative. Of course the mids seem scooped when the lows are that huge. But that's what you want - a big, powerful bottom end.

I put them in my Hondo, and they will stay there forever. For life.

Utroba24 likes this.
  7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I like (and have) both the g&l mfd and dimarzio will power middle - borh of those are sonic sledgehammers. Through a good PA, you can shake foundations with either.