1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

split in 3-piece neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by msgoodrich, Mar 12, 2010.

1. msgoodrich

msgoodrich

Jan 23, 2010
    My question is: can a 3-piece maple neck split without it cracking a poly finish?
    I have a 1984 Alembic Persuader with a 3-piece maple neck, mahogony body, bubinga top. I picked it up at an estate sale in 1997, and it was a little abused (a bunch of dings on the sides and back), but overall in good shape and a beautiful bass. I noticed that the maple neck was not perfectly smooth along the seam between two of the maple pieces in the neck. However, the poly finish is perfect and doesn't show any crack. You wouldn't be able to see any indication of this small ridge if I posted a photo. It is almost as though the neck was not sanded perfectly smooth before it was finished (which I guess would be surprising for an Alembic).
    It has been unchanged like this since I bought it.
    So, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I want to be sure before I sell it. Anybody seen anything similar?

Thanks
    Matt

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020