Split in sweet spot/scpb @ bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spiritbass, Oct 26, 2011.

1. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I have just recently begun to experience the power and tone of the venerable scpb pickup in the sweet spot through playing a CV 50's P. This triggered the thought that it would also smoke pretty well at the bridge. I know of a couple of builders use a single-coil precision pickup for a bridge pickup (Landing, Stambaugh) but have never seen one paired with a split-P in the sweet spot. I was curious to know if anyone has experience with this configuration?

2. Just as with a standard PJ setup, there will be output level differences and no humcancellation.

3. You can get a stack or side-by-side setup (though it won't sound exactly like the single coil version since it's technically humbucking), and the output between the two will be different, but a SCPB is hotter than a J-pickup, so they will be a bit more balanced.

4. not to hijack this thread in anyway but I wonder if someone could help me out here:

I have a MIM jazz with splitcoil humcancelling jazz pickups and want to replace the neck with a Pbass pickup but when I did the bridge split coil and the neck Pbass split coil were out of phase on one half, Is there something I can do like use the neck jazz pickup instead of the bridge jazz pickup to make them in-phase with the Pbass? I swapped the wires between the pickup halves on the Pbass once and it stopped the phase issues but caused bad hum... anyone got any ideas?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021